Gauging interest - 1" Scale Nathan Simplex

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

AnthonyDuarte

Gauging interest - 1" Scale Nathan Simplex

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

I'm looking to gauge interest in a 1" scale Nathan Simplex "R" injector. I'd really like to offer this with my product line, but I'm not sure if it's viable. Help to rid me of any uncertainty!

I'd like to stress that this is modeled solely from the original Nathan manufacturing drawings.

This will feature the same internals as the EE Small Scales injectors (30-150psi, 2.5 pints per minute @125psi)
- 3/16" tubing for steam inlet and delivery
- 1/4" for water inlet and overflow
- Water valve is cosmetic only

I have no plans to make this in 1.5/1.6" scale at this time.

Photos aren't uploading for some reason, but pictures and pricing can be seen on my website:

https://www.eccentricengineer.com/1-sca ... an-simplex

Anthony
jcbrock

Re: Gauging interest - 1" Scale Nathan Simplex

Post by jcbrock »

It's crazy but I'm interested. I understand the appeal of the challenge to make it working, but have you considered making a dummy that's a glorified elbow? I was considering doing something like that and using your small-scale injector tucked under the cab somewhere as the actual water-mover. I want something that looks like a lifting injector above my running boards but am less discerning about how it actually operates.
John Brock
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Hi John,

Unfortunately the amount of labor and parts to make it a dummy is not much less than to make it operating. If an operating simplex is $750, a dummy would be $5-600. If I modified the casting with the intention of it only being a dummy, it would consequently be impossible to machine it into a working injector.

Anthony
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

absolutely !!!! not only 1 inch scale, but this would make a good injector for smaller 1 1/2 scale engines as well.....
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

hoppercar wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:14 pm absolutely !!!! not only 1 inch scale, but this would make a good injector for smaller 1 1/2 scale engines as well.....
I think these would fit in very nicely in the cab of a Chloe or Fitchburg northern, or perhaps a modernized American.

Anthony
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Looking over my Nathan drawings... it turns out the No. 11 simplex in 1" scale works out to be about the same size as a #6 Simplex in 1.6"

Anthony