Oil firing

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

pollockmarine

Oil firing

Post by pollockmarine »

Hi team,

So whilst I'm at sea I have picked up caribou that's only a rolling chassis, was playing with the idea of oil firing it has this been done before?
And can anyone point me in the right direction for 3/4 scale oil burners

Regards
Brendan
NP317

Re: Oil firing

Post by NP317 »

I suspect the small firebox volume would not provide sufficient combustion paths for oil burning.
But with this group, that only presents a challenge!
~RN
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

This has been discussed before on this board. I remember reading the post. Try a search.

Propane might work, depending on the size of the firebox. Someone also posted about that use in 3/4" locomotives
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

only my opinion....but I had a 3/4 inch friends model hudson, that was oil fired, and I never had a lot of luck wth it....I tried a Bagley burner, one from little engines....and a couple others, I can't remember where I got them....could never seem to get good, complete combustion in a small firebox??
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

oil in a small firebox like that is tough.

I have a 3/4" Hudson that i run very successfully on propane. It's a very different type of setup, but makes plenty of heat. (nothing like a Marty or LocoParts / Solar type of burner)

I did an article in Live Steam magazine back in....oh....better part of 30 years ago about it and could probably pull the loco out of storage and take some pictures and make some drawings if you like...or you could get them to check the archive. I think the title of the article was "Run or propane or push it around the track"....where I was living at the time had ABSOLUTELY NO COAL available.

Basically it is 5 SIEVERT type of burners (think a burnz-o-matic tip on steroids). mounted in the front of the firebox in a horizontal, pointed toward the firedoor...with an arch to provide flame length...similar to how an oil burner is mounted and points back...

Light it up on low, close the firedoors and enjoy...but NEVER EVER open the firedoor while the burner is running on anything but VERY LOW FIRE since the burners on about 3 PSI make a flame that is the better part of 8" long.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
squandt

Post by squandt »

go to the IBLS web site,there are several posts about fireing a 3/4 scale engine on oil.Look under people for the name Gordon Corwin, he has a burnner and ashpan print on the subject. there are many people on the site who have done that and many other things you may find of intrest.
stay on the shine side of the rail
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I like Corwin's design...but good luck with a #80 hole - either making or keeping is clean
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pollockmarine

Post by pollockmarine »

Thanks guys for your help been much appreciated will keep you updated as build progress takes shape
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Coal fired Superheated Caribou goes like snot off a shovel. Will do >8 MPH with those little wheels, and will pull >1200 lb. The Fartin' Martin boiler design is sensitive to coal quality in comparison to LBSC's Britannia. Probably a little too small grate and lack of combustion chamber.

The unsuperheated one wasn't quite as good, and got sold on. Tender design in either case should be the super short shunting tender style, as it makes firing much easier than having a typical NA disaster of about 3' long between you and engine.

ImageCardave2 by Peach James, on Flickr

19 years ago or so...

James