Enlarging Taper in Tailstock Quill--Pros? Cons?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mihit

Re: Enlarging Taper in Tailstock Quill--Pros? Cons?

Post by mihit »

liveaboard wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:09 am
mihit wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:22 pm "Don't make what you can buy" -
Exactly the opposite of how I do things.
Depends how you value your time I guess. I'd rather be making the things I need, than making the tools to make the jigs to make the machines to make the things I need. I've done enough machining (trade engineer) that it isn't "fun" but a means to an end.
Certainly some things can be made cheaper and easier (I live a long way from a small town - things often aren't even in stock) So while yes, technically I can make a large series twist drill, I'm infinitely more likely to order one and pick it up on my bi-monthly trip through town. Ain't no rush jobs round 'ere. :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

mihit wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:02 pm I've done enough machining <snip> that it isn't "fun" but a means to an end.
I agree. I was in the (commercial) shop for 26 years. I no longer have anything to prove, and run machines simply because they allow me to accomplish the tasks I've created for myself. I can honestly say I do not derive pleasure from the act of machining.
H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

For me it's mostly about money; I'm happy to buy low priced things but my meager budget means that whatever I buy means something else I can't.
Time I have a lot of, and no one will pay me more than peanuts for it where I live.

Down the road, they're farming them; literally working for peanuts!
spro

Post by spro »

It seems you are doing well by tackling the need and equipment to do it.