Around the country

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steampipe

Around the country

Post by Steampipe »

Dear List
Someday when I retire (8 years) , I am thinking of traveling to all Live Steam clubs ( with 1.5” equip) and National Parks in a year in an RV. Can anyone help with the following itinerary.

Starting in Florida through the month of February and traveling across the southwest to California, then north to Train Mountain, then across northeast in May ending up in Pa.
I figure 5-6 months. Please give track and park suggestions - again will have RV and Trailer.
Thanks. Pat
FLtenwheeler

Re: Around the country

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Ridge Live Steamers, Largo, Pasco, Boots. I know I am missing some. The Ridge Live Steamers has on site RV parking. And a lot of great people that time of year.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Steampipe

Post by Steampipe »

Florida is easy - all of February - it’s after Florida heading southeast I am asking for suggestions and Live Steam clubs and National Parks
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Crater Lake National Park is an easy day trip from Train Mountain. There are a few tracks in the PNW, but going east it is a long slog across Idaho, Montana and the Dakotas with not much that I know of in the way of live steam club tracks, but of course Glacier and Yellowstone are there for you.
John Brock
Fender

Post by Fender »

I can get you in at Eagle Point RR in Dunlap, TN (Since I’m the President of CSME). Also, I can provide contact information for Canton, St. Paul & Pacific in Canton, GA and Mid-South in Columbia, TN.
As soon as you are eligible, get a Golden Pass for the National Parks. One-time fee for lifetime admission, and I’ve used it at Rocky Mtn NP, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Badlands, Smoky Mountains, etc.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

There's quite a few tracks in Ohio, northeast Ohio live steamers, Mill Creek Central, Pittsburgh Akron and Western Railroad, Lakeshore live steamers, a group up near Sandusky Ohio I can't remember their name right off hand and probably a few of them I have forgotten Cincinnati Cinder sniffers then you have Michigan, White Creek another excellent Railroad also Michigan Central I believe there's one or two clubs in Michigan also Indiana has Indiana live steamers then Illinois live steamers of course in Illinois
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Here's a huge list of USA live steam clubs & tracks, from Disconerlivesteam.com
https://discoverlivesteam.com/A-clubs.htm
~RN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

If you go to Yosemite, DO contact me. We'll take you on a private tour of the park, a Shay ride on the Yosemite Mt. Sugar Pine RR and may be able to arrange for a visit to the Hillcrest 15-inch gauge rr and a very nice private 7 1/2 inch track. We have acreage where you can park your rv. Just p.m. me when you're ready.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
BillF

Post by BillF »

For your eastbound leg, let me suggest that you avoid I-90 or I-80 but head south from Montana to Colorado. There are a few clubs in the Front Range area and the Colorado Live Steamers are out on the plains near I-70. There appear to be a few clubs in northeast Kansas and more in Missouri. From there you have easy access to the industrial midwest.

- Bill F
Doug_Edwards

Post by Doug_Edwards »

Hi Pat,

Depending on what your ultimate priorities are, you might consider reversing your direction of travel, and hit Yellowstone and Glacier NPs in the end of August, and heading down south to Florida from there. The roads in Glacier are often not completely cleared of snow until July, and both parks are still subject to snow in May. Both are well worth seeing. I believe that Glacier still has open air touring busses, which could be a good choice to get tickets for, as the roads are narrow and not well suited for RV's.

Two other pieces of natural beauty that I would not miss are the Oregon coast, and the Redwoods.

The PNW usually has spectacular weather into the middle of October.

Regards,

Doug
http://www.precisionlocomotivecastings.com/
Building a 70 ton Willamette in 1.6"
Building a 80 ton Climax in 1.6"

"Aim to improve!"
"Mine is not to question why, mine is just to tool and die"
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Doug_Edwards wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:00 pm I believe that Glacier still has open air touring busses, which could be a good choice to get tickets for, as the roads are narrow and not well suited for RV's.
I second that. We were there last summer and the Going To The Sun road is spectacular but narrow. Cars can make it but the driver will not get to see much. Take the tour. We did and it was worth it.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

Pat,
Schedule your itinerary to be in Los Angeles at Memorial Day weekend.
The LALS Spring Meet is always on that weekend and is a big deal: not to be missed.
If you get there by early Thursday before the weekend you might score one of the limited on-site camping spots.
Plan to also visit Riverside Live Steamers and Orange County Model Engineers.
There are some really sweet private tracks in So. Cal., and you might score invitations to some of them.
Andy