tender sealing

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

squandt

tender sealing

Post by squandt »

Hello, has any one used Flex Seal to seal a tender tank seam at the rivet line?
stay on the shine side of the rail
pat1027

Re: tender sealing

Post by pat1027 »

Not on the tender. Mine is sealed with an epoxy paint along the seam and over the rivets. As for Flex Seal I used it once on the seam in an HVAC duct. Spattered everywhere when I sprayed it.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have used the industrial equivalent 'Devcon Flexane' and it works very well...tender does not leak a drop after 10(ish) years...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

I have always built my tenders from brass...riveted and soldered...no need for coatings
Caribou Doug

Post by Caribou Doug »

I recently rebuilt an Allen American Tender and used flex seal quarts instead of spray. The tender was sandblasted then prepped with metal etching primer and all holes were sealed with plugs. We poured the flex seal in and smoothed it with a paint brush. As each surface cured the tender was rolled on the sides and end and the process was repeated. I used 2 quarts for the initial coating and then used a portion of a third applied with a brush to seal around hand pump, and various different plugs and valves for bypass and injector feeds. several other club members have had good success with the product. I also applied a coating to the bottom side of the tender tank lid and mating flange which keeps water from sloshing out during operation. so far I am pleased with the way it went on and the reliability.
blff cty lcmtv wrks

Post by blff cty lcmtv wrks »

I believe that the flex seal people have a product that is used with a brush. might work. well, I guess if I had read caribou doug's post, I would've seen that it was already mentioned. great minds think a like. I wonder what kind of luck you would have if you used it to seal an oil tank.