Power reverser for small scale loco

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

pollockmarine

Power reverser for small scale loco

Post by pollockmarine »

Evening/Morning team,

I know this subject has probably been covered numerous times but would like to ask for your input once again, I'm planning on fitting a working power reverser on my 3/4 nyc u3a so wondering if any one can point me in the direction of castings of a ragnoyt reverser and should it run off steam or boiler water at head pressure.

Thank you
Brendan
Joe Tanski

Re: Power reverser for small scale loco

Post by Joe Tanski »

I have one built for my new B&O 3/4 scale P7 (Friends Models sells the castings)nice to hang on the side of the engine for looks ,have tested mine on air design works fine , but I Will not have it run the valve gear,valve gear is hooked up direct to reverser screw in cab by rod that also moves reverser and valve gear. This way it holds the valve gear right where I set it with no darn leaks or drips or movement of valve gear.
its hard enought to make a 3/4 engine run right with out adding complex assessories !!if you want your engine to run Keep IT SIMPLE (in operation)
Joe
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello pollockmarine,
Built one for may class A of 5" gage (scale 1 in 10) last year.
Works fine on air and boiler water, too. I prefer water from the delivery line of the water pump (or the injector) due to the lower temperatur, yet. My fit for your model, too?
For more information, please see my topic 'A with Timken running gear'.

Asteamhead
Attachments
Power reverse scale, 1 in 10. stroke about 1 1/2 "
Power reverse scale, 1 in 10. stroke about 1 1/2 "
Power reverse, made of bronze
Power reverse, made of bronze
Power reverse built for my A, running on hot water
Power reverse built for my A, running on hot water
Wayne Davis

Post by Wayne Davis »

There are plans for a power revers in Modeltec January 1985 with a follow up correcting some errors in in March 1985.

Wayne
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I believe that Baldwin took over the Ragonnet design and marketed it under their own name. I have a 30 page instruction book on the BLW gear if you are prompted to kit bash the Modeltec drawings.
squandt

Post by squandt »

Hello, there is a print on the IBLS wed site for a small power reverser under the construction header, I built one from the print for my 4-8-4 northern in 3/4 scale, works very well on air, have not yet been able to try it on steam/hot water as my boiler is not finished. There are many cool things to make for your engine on this site, you can join the IBLS ,it is a great place to find info you can use.
stay on the shine side of the rail