Looking for Information Bill Van Brocklin engines in Hawaii

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Pat Fahey

Looking for Information Bill Van Brocklin engines in Hawaii

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi All
I hope someone can help with this information, what I am trying to find, is this, I always heard the someone in Hawaii owns a few of
BillVanbrocklin locomotives. I hope that someone knows has the information, of which engines are there.
What I am trying to do, is locate, where they are for my own record's, So does anyone have any idea, how many of Bill's engine is in Hawaii, and their engine numbers. Thank you ahead of time Pat Fahey WLS.
Glenn Brooks

Re: Looking for Information Bill Van Brocklin engines in Hawaii

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Were these Van Brocklin locos 1” scale?

There is one 1” scale pacific on Oahu. It’s been there for quite a few years, changing hands last year to its current owner, who bought from the estate of the prior owner. No others that I know of.

Back in the late 1980’s Oahu had a fledging live steam club , with several locomotives - I can’t remember the vintage now- but the organizers passed and others moved back to mainland. So by 1996-97 or thereabouts, all the people were gone and the equipment all shipped out, except possibly for the loco I mentioned above.

Here are a couple of photos of the loco in its current condition. I inspected it and helped the PO work up plans for a stand this past March. Maybe someone can identify the builder from some of the details. It has a very unusual air tank mounted on the front pilot, below the smoke box door. It’s either 4 3/4” ga or possibly 5” ga, we measured it, but I didn’t write it down or take photos of the tape measure.

Followup: Pat, I checked my earlier thread on this engine, and several members thought the engine is an early Little Engines loco. Here’s the thread from last March.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 8&t=107950

Regards,
Glenn
Attachments
2106EA69-B725-4790-882D-7865951051CE.jpeg
EBF256D2-DEDB-4EE3-B5BE-94CDA83C2C45.jpeg
B6EED94C-EA67-4BDD-94D9-1FACF556D465.jpeg
08D14ADB-20F1-4DF7-8090-612D686E5AB1.jpeg
06FD08A5-30F3-4049-9C20-C11AA2506FD3.jpeg
04D18CBB-38E3-45B4-B5B6-59C63DDC9F23.jpeg
9FB85088-B3E7-4888-8828-5C6DFEFDBF1D.jpeg
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
shayloco

Post by shayloco »

Hello Pat-

My son and I bought 2 complete WVB locomotives and one chassis from the fellow in Hawaii. You have seen the locos at Waushakum.
VB12and37.jpg
#12 is a 4-6-0. I sold #12 to a Montreal LS member, I believe it is still there.
#37 is a 2-8-2 tank loco that my son still owns.
#41 is a 2-8-0 chassis that was the last one WVB made. I sold it to a fellow at NEOLS in Ohio. He is working on finishing the loco.

-Larry

Pat Fahey wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:09 am Hi All
I hope someone can help with this information, what I am trying to find, is this, I always heard the someone in Hawaii owns a few of
BillVanbrocklin locomotives. I hope that someone knows has the information, of which engines are there.
What I am trying to do, is locate, where they are for my own record's, So does anyone have any idea, how many of Bill's engine is in Hawaii, and their engine numbers. Thank you ahead of time Pat Fahey WLS.
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi Shay Loco
Thanks, so your engines number 37, and 41 just the chassis were the locomotives from Hawaii, Pat. I know about number 12, and where that engine is, Pat.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Larry,

I am curious. Do you recall any details of your purchase - the approx year, location, etc. From time to time, I keep hearing rumors someone has a private live steam RR in Hawaii, but have never been able to track it down.

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

guess who is helping design and build the boiler for #41 ?????
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Wayne Davis

Post by Wayne Davis »

Do you have any current pictures of #41?

Wayne
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

a few....needed a lot of work to become a solid runner..axles, some valve gear tweaking

i did none of it except provide some 'logic tree' guidance..you know ' been there done that...start here...'

Tim is very capable...she runs real nice now in both forward and reverse
IMG_0002.jpeg
IMG_0003.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:54 pm Were these Van Brocklin locos 1” scale?

Regards,
Glenn
Glenn, so far as I know Bill VanBrocklin never built anything in 1” scale and certainly never a “Little Engines” locomotive. Bill designed and built virtually all of his locomotives.

Keith
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Bill VanBrocklin First Locomotive in O-scale, and Live Steam.
Bill VanBrocklin First Locomotive in O-scale, and Live Steam.
Bill's Number 1.jpg # 4.jpg (16.33 KiB) Viewed 8268 times
Hi All
I would like to thank everyone for all the replies, there was some information that I already had, and of course some I didn't. To answer to the last post, Bill van Brocklin did build Live Steam in three scales, but ( one -inch ) was not one of them.
The scales that Billy build in was, O-scale, Three - Quarter, and Inch and Half, of course, he built the most in 3/4" scale, he built (2) engines in 1/1/2" scale 7/1/4" 4-4-0, & 4-6-0.
Billys first locomotive he ever built was an O-scale NYC Hudson, in Live Steam, He started it in 1940 and completed it 1943. Please go up to the IBLS website for a complete list of his locomotives. Billy built three locomotives in O-scale, Number 1 an NYC Hudson, Number 6 a 4-4-0, and Number 24 a 4-6-2, pacific, all Live Steam, number 24 he never finished according to his records. As I said to see a complete record of all his locomotives, please go to the IBLS website http://www.ibls.org again Thank you, Pat WLS
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Hi Pat, There was a 1" 4-4-0 chassis built. Never a finished loco. I remember seeing it but don't remember where it went.
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Hi Keith, nice to see you and Jinny at PVLS! Vb #2 was a 3/4"atlantic....friends. he swore he would never do that again . There was also a Tillbury Tank , MrSteam may know of its whereabouts. I Think this was commercial castings as well.
Regarding the o scale stuff there was a couple of suitcases full of o scale live steam parts, frames, cylinders etc in Bill's shop after he passed. His machinery was saved, but a ton went into the bin . There was only a couple of times we could get into the house to buy what we could from the estate.