West Coast Steel Rail

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

West Coast Steel Rail

Post by Trainman4602 »

Where do the west coast , or any club buy steel rail. RMI has it but I am looking for other sources as well.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
fly5150

Re: West Coast Steel Rail

Post by fly5150 »

Midwest Scale Rail can get it, but in large quantity only. Call Carl.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Was a group down in Florida that imported a bunch of it, from Belgium I believe. That was about 4 or 5 years ago. About 4 clubs went together to make up an order, and the Florida club(s), whom I can't remember right now, did the leg work and led the effort. CSME and Mid-South each bought a few thousand feet of it, and also someone out in Oklahoma, if I remember correctly. I think they had to get 10,000+ feet to be able to get the mill to run it.
Before this, MSLS had purchased it from RMI, several thousand feet of it. Before getting it from RMI, we had some that was milled in England on hand, but only a few hundred feet of it. The English stuff has been exhausted for several years now, and I don't think that source is open any more.
FYI: The stuff we got from Belgium bends a lot more consistently through our rail bender. The stuff we got from RMI would bend really good on one piece, and the next piece run through on the same settings would barely be moved at all. But, we made it work and it has held up just fine.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Not Belgium, but Switzerland. Montanstahl AG sells it. But you will need to buy a container-sized quantity.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Train Mountain (Oregon State) and Kitsap Live Steamers (Washington State) are both purchasing and using steel rails.
Worth contacting them for their source.
RussN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I think KLS bought their rail from Train Mountain.

Also, Periodically, one or two vendors advertise rail on Discoverlivesteam.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
ccoleman

Post by ccoleman »

I am looking at getting about 6000 feet of rail too from Switzerland. I have contacted them for quote but have placed order yet. Would make more sense to combine an order too reduce freight costs. Message me if you are. Interested.
Fender

Post by Fender »

ccoleman wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:44 pm I am looking at getting about 6000 feet of rail too from Switzerland. I have contacted them for quote but have placed order yet. Would make more sense to combine an order too reduce freight costs. Message me if you are. Interested.
Be forewarned, it is sold and priced by weight, not length. Since the weight/ft varies a little, you may get a different quantity than you expected.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
all10wheels

Post by all10wheels »

Check out Cannonball Ltd. They sell west coast rail out of Oklahoma area.

Cannonball Ltd.
11501 E. Waterloo Rd.
Arcadia, OK. 73007
Phone: 405 524-4400
Fax: Call to send
Email: trains@cannonballltd.com