3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Jerry_H

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Jerry_H »

Jack, you've made the parts for this bell in 3/4" scale. So does shrinkage change anything when they are used as patterns for investment casting?

Jerry
www.chaski.com
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
To answer Jerry's question, yes there is some shrinkage, about two percent between the master and the final casting. On small parts like this it really isn't a concern. But on things like a headlamp casting set where the front bezel mount ring, and the back have to fit to commercial tube you have to factor in the shrinkage. The larger the parts, the more important this is.
Jack
Fender

Post by Fender »

JBodenmann wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:08 pm ....Take the object you want, and break it down into shapes you can make, and then stick together. Easy Peasy :D
Jack
In other words, and using a term usually applied to rapid prototyping, “additive manufacturing”!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Hi Fender, that's a good term. I have never heard that before but I like it.
Jack
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Yes. "Additive Manufacturing" is an official term. I helped teach some of it in the University.

The rest of us practice "Subtractive Manufacturing."
I like it.
RussN
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

JBodenmann wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:08 pm ....Take the object you want, and break it down into shapes you can make, and then stick together. Easy Peasy :D
Jack
You have a way-above-average ability to see the parts inside the part.
Like Michelangelo, who just chipped off all the parts that didn't look like what he wanted to carve.

Steve
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Steve for your very kind compliment. I must say that most of the time I think of myself more like Curly Howard than Michaelangelo. I have been trying to make things since I learned to walk. If you stick to it, eventually you get good at something. Mom always said I was born with a pencil in my hand, and I had wonderful parents that always encouraged me. I had a tool box full of tools, a skill saw, and electric drill before I was in the seventh grade. Thank you Mom and Dad.
Jack
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

JBodenmann wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:58 am Mom always said I was born with a pencil in my hand...
From a medical perspective, that just sounds painful :-)

Steve
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

SteveM wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:13 pm
JBodenmann wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:58 am Mom always said I was born with a pencil in my hand...
From a medical perspective, that just sounds painful :-)

Steve
Certainly better than the electric drill and the Skill saw....
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Like I said, I had some pretty cool parents :lol:
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I've been looking at the rods and valve gear on the J1e for some time wondering if I should clean up and polish the existing parts, or to make new ones. I finally decided to go with what's there. So today the rods were taken off and polished. First they got some minor profiling with a couple different small drum sanders. Then the fluting got some attention. It was apparently machined with a dull cutter as there was a lot of pitting and scratches in the bottom of the flutes. This was attacked with a small block sander that you can see in the top photo. The second photo shows it in action. This took a while starting with #220 grit wet or dry paper then #320, #400 and then a buffer. Just a few hours of hand work and they were looking pretty good. Then new knuckle pins and castellated nuts were made. The thread for the nuts is #10-40 and the slots for the cotter pins are .025". The nuts are 9/32" across the flats. Now they will be case hardened. Like I said I thought about making new rods. These are really pretty nice but have some minor errors. You can split hairs to the point you never finish anything, so I'm just going to blast through the rods and valve gear and go with what I got. Then I can move on to the boiler which needs a couple modifications and then the boiler jacket, fire box wrapper, and ash pan. The engine will be a coal burner so some stainless grates will be made that can be fished in and out of the fire door. This boiler doesn't have a combustion chamber or large flues for superheaters so an arch will be fitted up. The outlet for the steam turret comes out of the middle of the back head instead of on top...That one I just don't understand, so the outlet will be moved to the proper position on top of the fire box, and I'll make sure it has a dry pipe to the steam dome. The outlets for the safety valves are all wrong also and that will have to be changed. Fortunately it's a steel boiler so it won't be a big deal to change. No shortage of things to do!
Jack
Attachments
Rods1.jpg
Rods2.jpg
Rods3.jpg
Rods4.jpg
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Jack,
I think what I like most is the scale saw horses to go with the rods. What type of material are the rods made from? stainless? if not, how are you going to protect the finish?
I look forward to your updates, your work is outstanding!

Nyle