VFD setup

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

VFD setup

Post by liveaboard »

I recently bought a Lenze VFD from ebay.
3-phase 380 to 3-phase 380, 1500W, $30!

In the instructions, it states;
In Volts per Hz mode the drive linearly increases output voltage as a direct function of the drive’s output frequency by the slope of the line defined by P165 (base voltage) and P167 (base frequency). In vector mode the drive develops a mathematic model of the motor to determine the phase angle of the stator current components to more accurately regulate speed for dynamic applications and to provide a method for torque control.

For a lathe, do I want volts per Hz, or vector control?

Second question;
I would like to wire it to switch over and run my drill press. The lathe and drill have similar but not identical ancient 1hp 1,400 rpm motors.

Is there any fundamental problem with that?
Thought I'd ask before gutting the existing switching and finding out the long way.

Any other tips appreciated.
rudd

Re: VFD setup

Post by rudd »

First line of the instructions is a clue. In V-H mode, you reduce the frequency, you reduce the voltage.
You want vector mode for better torque at lower frequencies.
You could use one VFD to run two motors, but the VFD needs to be shut down before any connections are changed downstream of the VFD.
And you don't want to just unplug it while it is under load either.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Thanks; I've wired it to the lathe motor now.
It was supposedly unused, but it has been programmed to run 1 direction, at 50 rpm.
So I need to get into the 64 page instructions and sort it out.
Patio

Post by Patio »

The best advise I can give you is to make a note, in the margin of your manual, each time you change a parameter from the default. This will save you a lot of headaches, later. And set P115 to 1, so the motor will not start up again after a power loss.
VFD are wonderful devises and all the motor protection can be accomplished with the settings.
Good luck.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

That sounds sensible; I guess I'd better load up the printer and make a paper version.

I'll look for a way to restore defaults settings first.
This thing is behaving in a very strange manner, I suspect someone bought it and tried to program it to do something that didn't work.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

You might get lucky and find a button, or setting to reset all the factory defaults. My VFD has such a thing.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Ok, I found the factory default setting; after engaging it, everything improved a lot and the VFD became functional.
Braking is a bit spotty in vector mode, usually it fails and shows a fault code. In V/Hz mode it works better.
But; it won't reverse.
It is in forward/reverse mode, when I press the reverse button the led blinks like it should, but then nothing changes.
Manual stop + reverse, nothing.
reverse + start = forward.

It does the same on the drill press and the lathe. Both motors would look more at home in a museum than in a workshop, but they both reverse just fine with a manual switch.

So I'm feeling a bit discouraged. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit;

DUH!
as a last resort, try reading the directions;

- The LED for the present rotation direction (FWD or REV) will be on
- Press R/F; the LED for the opposite rotation direction will blink
- Press M within 4 seconds to confirm the change
- The blinking direction LED will turn on, and the other LED will turn off
When rotation direction is changed while the drive is running, the commanded direction LED will blink until the
drive is controlling the motor in the selected direction.
rudd

Post by rudd »

Braking uses some add-on capacitors if you want very much braking at all.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Most braking of VFD require an external resistor to dissipate the energy as heat. There are people that use automotive block heaters for the resistor. Most VFD will do a minor amount of braking as they are. You will have to read the book on that one.
I have VFD's on my lathe and mill and love them. The lathe also has a very small one that runs the headstock lubrication pump.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I'm not sure if this one needs an external resistor; the instructions are confusing because it's the same pdf for all their drives, up to 60HP.
It shows where the connections should be and mine has nothing in that place; the only unused terminals are small control ones.
It does brake successfully sometimes. If I could read the info plate on the motor to put in the correct parameters, that might help!
Anyway, there is a fault code for 'no braking resistor connected' and that's not the fault I'm getting.

Tomorrow when I confirm that it does reverse, I'll hook up the remote switch, which is the old motor reversing switch on the lathe [wow, was that thing a mess inside!].
The thing is, I have 3-phase power and it works quite well; motors start fast with great torque. It's possible to brake by reversing the switch although it's not really nice.
The VFD gives speed control, overclock possibility, and most importantly for me, braking. If it does that, we're going to be great friends.
If it doesn't, I'll switch the lathe back to the old setup [with a new reversing switch though].
Will's 2882

Post by Will's 2882 »

Never install a switch between the motor and the VFD, it will blow the VFD if you try to do that.
There is a pram that will allow you to reverse motor, also a time sitting for motor ramp up speed and stop speed (braking)
Patio

Post by Patio »

Lenze has the info, on setting up your drive on their website.
This will help with deciding the type of control system you are going to use, and the wiring diagrams, and how to set up your drive if you are going to use it in the vector drive mode. for that you must set up a particular motor to the drive. This may cause problems when switching to another machine.
https://lenze.yonyx.com/y/conversation/ ... 9d&lang=en
If you have any specific questions I will see if I can help. There are others on here that have way more experience than I, that may be able to help also.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!