Little Engines Wendy?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ChipsAhoy

Little Engines Wendy?

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I see on DLS want adds an engine described as a "Little Engines Wendy". Did Little Engines ot one time sell a kit, plans or castings for a Wendy?
Scotty
cp4449

Re: Little Engines Wendy?

Post by cp4449 »

I will say "No", neither in 1 1/2" or 1" scales. This must have been kit bashed together with some LE castings.
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

The true Wendy was a kit from a Canadian company named MEG, IIRC? I think they went under after only a few were delivered...

There is another ad on the same site right now that refers to "tiny engines" when I believe it is a "Little Engines" loco...
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Kimball McGinley wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:24 pm There is another ad on the same site right now that refers to "tiny engines" when I believe it is a "Little Engines" loco...
It's Little Engines, only tiny-er. :-)

Steve
FRED DADDI

Little Engines Wendy?

Post by FRED DADDI »

I built a boiler for one 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201910 ... 905855.jpg
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Tony and Dougal Hubner designed MEG, and I know of at least 2 up here (Steve's @ VIME, and one at Kingston Ont), plus Harlock on here has one. That's 3 finished locos, which isn't too bad. I don't believe they "went under", but I don't think they are active, which is rather a different position. They were available in anything up to bolt together or RTR, but I think the intent had been to supply drawings and hard to machine (wheels/cylinders/motion) as ready machined parts. I know Dougal was active on Youtube not too long ago.

James
FRED DADDI

Post by FRED DADDI »

I visited Jack Sauter the “ North American” rep in the DC area in the late 90 while i was building my Wendy boiler. The plan was he would help you in the States if i remember. There is also an o gauge design from them as well as a speeder both of which i have drawings for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FRED DADDI

Post by FRED DADDI »

I think Dougal was a good designer with an eye towards “ easy to build”. I drove Jack Sauters Wendy and it was awesome. I was able to bank the fire break for lunch and come back without needing to re attach a blower. My family is trying to talk me out of finishing Wendy as it is too big....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwerhart0800

Post by gwerhart0800 »

The other odd thing about that engine is it does not have a traditional firebox.

https://auctions.discoverlivesteam.com/ ... 1572529400
George Erhart
Loveland, CO
https://lovelandcreatorspace.com
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Those descriptions are very indicative of someone who doesn't know jack about what they are selling! Look at that MEG locomotive, the drivers, smoke box, cylinders, etc... Doesn't look like there is a single Little Engines casting on it anywhere to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never seen or heard of LE selling anything for a MEG in the past 35 years or more. It may be a great locomotive in good shape, and it looks really nice, but I'd be leery of buying it without inspecting and test-running it first. The other "tiny engines" locomotive has a picture in there where you can clearly read the words "Little Engines" on the casting.

A lot of Australian Designed locomotives have that marine style boiler on them. They are a lot easier to make, which is why some people use them. I've seen several of them run, and they all seemed to do OK and the locomotive ran fine.
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

Does anyone know how different the designs are between the two available model?
Is Sweet William (Jack Buckler design) the same thing as the MEG (Dougal Hubner design). They look very similar. Save valve gear and such.

JP
Attachments
MEG Steam Locomoitve
MEG Steam Locomoitve
Sweet william locomotive
Sweet william locomotive
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

johnpenn74 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:39 am Does anyone know how different the designs are between the two available model?
Is Sweet William (Jack Buckler design) the same thing as the MEG (Dougal Hubner design). They look very similar. Save valve gear and such.
JP
I am not sure if you meant "save" and "same" in your last sentence, but as someone who is building a Sweet William they look very similar to me. At least regarding the chassis and valve gear. I can't prove it but I would guess that the MEG design is actually the Sweet William engine redrawn up in CAD to aid in lowering the cost for reproducing the parts. I suppose there must be some differences or else there would be legal issues, but I don't know what they are.

Regarding the clunky saddle tank, obviously it must either be cheaper or easier to build than the rounded one that is more pleasing to the eye on a Sweet William because it sure doesn't look better!
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"