press fit lube?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: press fit lube?

Post by liveaboard »

Thanks for asking, no not yet; I need to paint the areas that will be inaccessible after assembly. Second coat today, then I'll put it together unless something urgent gets me distracted. With little dab of copper grease I think.

I'm not sure I got the bores right; between my limited skill and my cheap telescopic bore gauge, it's difficult to get consistent readings. I might have made the bore[s] slightly too loose.
The torque from the motor will exert about 1000 kg on the surface of the pin, so I guess anything more than 8 tons pressing it together and it should be ok.
The pressure gauge on the press will tell me; if it goes together too easily, I can drill through, tap, and add a lock screw.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I pressed the crankshaft together using the lightest smear of copper grease; it went together very smoothly, but a little to easily.
Around 2.5 tons of pressure was all it took; so I'll need to add a lock pin.
pressing crank 1.jpg
pressing crank 2.jpg
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Harold_V wrote: ...you can heat the piece...with a torch. Get it hot enough and the two pieces will slip together without issue. Once cooled, you'll not get them apart. It wouldn't hurt to cool the shaft, too...lowering its temperature in a freezer will help some.
This is the process my father and I used when pressing wrist pins into automotive pistons.

And, lacking a press, we used a bench vice to press the parts together.

Yankee ingenuity to the rescue.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

https://www.kbctools.com/catsearch/909/anti-sieze

yes...I have several 70 year old cans of white lead...a lifetime supply for Jim Stuart and I....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

We don't get any of those products here in Portugal.
I used a little copper grease, went ok.

There was some errors in my layout though, and the parts aren't very concentric; luckily, I know I'm not a particularly good machinist, and I made it so that I can correct it afterwards.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

ah well...living in paradise has its trade-offs....which is not necessarily a bad thing...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

You're right; we might be a bit thin on engineering supplies, but we have lots of oranges.
spro

Post by spro »

My old silver Lubriplate has no vitamin C. :)
reubenT

Post by reubenT »

Just thought I'd comment even if it doesn't help the current job, about 15 years ago I used a spray lube named kano aerokroil to assemble all the pins and bushings in a set of caterpillar track chains. It worked significantly better than WD40. I was using a hand pump 50 ton bottle jack, some of them took all the jack could do plus a hard lick with an 8 lb hammer to break the old ones loose. New ones went in without galling if the lube was there. Worse galling with the WD40.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Kano Kroil has been my go-to solution for working on steam locomotives. Full-sized logging ones... 70 to 120 tons.
It was the best rust cutting stuff I've used. We'd go through 5 gallons of it disassembling a locomotive.
These restorations were "Jack up the whistle and rebuild everything underneath."
Kroil was a life saver for us.
It also works as cutting oil and light lubrication. And seems able to crawl up glass jars and onto the table below...
RussN