0-6-0 L9 Switcher, differences

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

NP317

Re: 0-6-0 L9 Switcher, differences

Post by NP317 »

Making a simple articulated in small scale is a good operational decision.
Compound cylinders on small engines are a hassle and don't provide the performance enhancements they do for full sized locomotives.
Too wet, and superheated steam is almost a requirement.
Whatever you choose to do will be fun.
RussN
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I think the attraction is that the mallet was used more around the timeframe that somewhat overlapped with diesel (my work in progress is a Baldwin S12), plus I will have some areas of 3%+ grades so the traction of 12 wheels would be a really good thing.
I wouldn't do the compound cylinder thing, just use four the same size with a larger OD for the front cylinders and then mock up the piping for the compound "look". We'll see how things go though, I may just end up staying with the NP 0-6-0 as the prototype is right here and I could go take measurements and pictures and such.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Building ANY steam locomotive is a very large undertaking... Doubly so for a grand scale locomotive... Doubly so again for an articulated. That's why there aren't very many of them. It's like building two locomotives. You're not a novice so I'm sure you can do it, it will just take a while to get 'er done. Just imagine how massive a 2-6-6-2 would be in 12" gauge! Be sure you have enough room to build this thing and not have to keep it outside. Most people contemplating this would end up going the practical route and build a smaller locomotive. An 0-6-0 in 12" gauge 2" scale is going to be pretty big itself. Either would be an interesting project to follow along with. OR- you could design the same running gear and use it 3 times to build both... Just sayin' Good luck to you.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:29 pm Building ANY steam locomotive is a very large undertaking... Doubly so for a grand scale locomotive... Doubly so again for an articulated. That's why there aren't very many of them. It's like building two locomotives. You're not a novice so I'm sure you can do it, it will just take a while to get 'er done. Just imagine how massive a 2-6-6-2 would be in 12" gauge! Be sure you have enough room to build this thing and not have to keep it outside. Most people contemplating this would end up going the practical route and build a smaller locomotive. An 0-6-0 in 12" gauge 2" scale is going to be pretty big itself. Either would be an interesting project to follow along with. OR- you could design the same running gear and use it 3 times to build both... Just sayin' Good luck to you.
One of the reasons it appeals to me, the mallet with it's lack of tender would make it no longer than the 0-6-0 with tender, so storage would be the same. It would be a grand scale beast and really be something to see and operate, so if I'm gonna get something steaming up it might as well be "grand". Home for the motive power is going to be a 20' container or an 8'x20' train shed, I figure if I space the tracks right I can get three tracks into it with two narrow walkways ~16" in between. As it started filling up, the "working" rolling stock would have to live outside, although I could add separate covered areas under 200sq/ft without any permits to keep them out of the rain. Note that I'm doing my own thing at 2" gauge (1/6th scale), so my trains run about 20" wide and a 40' piece of rolling stock runs about 7' long coupler to coupler. Most boilers scale out to 10" pipe for me.
Build area would be one downfall, as currently I have two 10' long benches to build on that are the same height as my truck bed, but the mallet would probably be 12'-13' long in 2" scale? I'd probably have to build each set of drivers up on the bench and then drop the boiler onto them and do final assembly right on the track.
KenG

Post by KenG »

A friend in Western Australia just posted these photos on Facebook. He states it is a 2" scale "Mallet" under construction for 7-1/4" gauge but provides no other information. It appears to be based on Uintah Railway No 51.
Attachments
Mallet 1.jpg
Mallet 2.jpg
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

That's quite the project! It's interesting that the Australians model in 2" scale on 7-1/4" gage tracks.

Post by 0351 »

Interesting article on ILBS about someone who built a 2.5” scale 0-4-0. Using weight plates as drivers with slices of steel pipe for tires. Utilizing tapper bushings to attach the plate to axels. http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Wayne_Davis
Last edited by 0351 on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
John 14:6 (KJV)
Fender

Post by Fender »

rkcarguy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:47 pm That's quite the project! It's interesting that the Australians model in 2" scale on 7-1/4" gage tracks.
Two-inch scale on 7.25” gauge track corresponds well with 42” gauge full-size railroads.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

0351 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:51 am Interesting article on ILBS about someone who built a 2.5” scale 0-4-0. Using weight plates as drivers with slices of steel pipe for tires And tapper bushings to attach the plate to axels. http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Wayne_Davis
That's very cool, he did amazing work with ALOT of repurposing and dumpster diving!
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Having seen that thing in person, and having seen it in operation, I can tell you: It runs excellently and is a beautiful locomotive. When I saw it last (about 2008), it didn't have the steam pump on it, and the counterweights were just painted on the wheels. He told me that he had a budget of $20 per week to work on this locomotive, and that was it. It uses Allen Models cylinder castings, and pretty much everything else is fabricated. Fabulous job, and a real inspiration to everyone out there who thought they couldn't afford to build anything, or didn't think they had the skills!!