New Propane car

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

FLSTEAM

New Propane car

Post by FLSTEAM »

Still have a few details to add and need to get the second 30 lb. tank. I have quick connects on each end and can isolate each tank.

John B.
Attachments
DSCN5168.JPG
DSCN5170.JPG
Berkman

Re: New Propane car

Post by Berkman »

Very nice. What type of quick disconnects do you use?

also do you permanently mount the tanks inside the car then take the car in a trailer to be refilled or have a way to quickly swap tanks inside the car?
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Steel plates are mounted on the car frame. A slot is provided at the back of each plate that holds the footplate of the tank. The front tank bracket has a hole which a 5/16 bolt is used to secure the tank. The tanks are removed for filling. The 30# tanks are designed to fill in the vertical and use in the horizontal. You can buy propane rated disconnects from MRheater.com but I have installed air hose fittings for Harbor Freight. HF sells two different kinds and I have found the universal ones do not leak ( at least not on my shop air )

John B
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Go the extra route and get Propane certified quick connect fittings. Cost is minimal to go the safer route.
Some railroads might not allow anything other than fittings rated for gas fuels.
RussN
dash9

Post by dash9 »

Just make sure it all certified hose for propane. you can tell by the outer cover it has a million holes in it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

dash9 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:48 am Just make sure it all certified hose for propane. you can tell by the outer cover it has a million holes in it.
I had my propane hoses and connections made by a Propane Supplier Company.
Fortunately it was a small business happy to make custom items.
RussN
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

The cold temperature the propane can reach can cause the seals to get hard and crack on the quick connect air fittings, my boss made a weed burner using what he had kicking around and all the sudden he had a fire at his quick connect.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

The cold temperature the propane can reach can cause the seals to get hard and crack on the quick connect air fittings

Good thought...……..

JB
dash9

Post by dash9 »

If you going to use quick disconnects, just make sure you change out the rubber seals that come with them. Listed below is a list of approved for propane service, https://www.efunda.com/designstandards/ ... SC=Propane