OT creative language

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Re: OT creative language

Post by spro »

Cary. I agree with you and BKD . This is stuff which I hated when I was young. A long road to get out of it but not smoking.
spro

Post by spro »

Not smoking for a month now. Dang, food tastes good, getting kinda fat, more discipline required.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Congrats. Hang in there and know the results will be very rewarding.
Smoking sucks, in more ways than one.
RussN
Patio

Post by Patio »

Spro, I use to smoke. I tried patches and gum, they just traded on addiction for another. In the end, I just quit. Best thing that I ever did for myself.
It is known to be easier to quit Heroin than Nicotine.
Once an addict, always an addict.
If I have one, I might as well just buy a carton.
Nicotine puts the system in stress, which become the normal state. So just like a junkie, one goes and gets their fix to "get well" again, back to the normal state. Don't have a cig for while, the the body becomes unstressed, and one gets the heebie jeebies.
After the first week the Nicotine is out of your system, then it is just a head game.
The urge never has gone, fully away in me, but it passes quickly. I sit here and just smile, thinking about the fact that is still happens after all these years of not smoking. Yet I have no desire to ever go there again!

You can do this Spro! It is the best gift that you can give yourself, just stay the course, it pays!

Now I heal twice as fast as I use to. Which is of greater concern as I grow older.
I can taste all the wonderful foods out there. Being an adventure eater, this is a real good thing. :)

I'm rooting for ya!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks for the encouragement. I went "cold turkey" for some years and along the way got a RX for nicotine gum. For some reason it triggered me to smoke again. Stuff happens but never again with the burning embers and smoke filled rooms etc. No ash trays and all that mess. Tbh I do use the Alto which is a thing at times. The "pods" can be strong at first but can be lower in nicotine content, to where it is just the action of something between the fingers. This was a habit of different levels. The major thing was reducing the fire potential and the other addictive chemicals.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I smoked cigars for awhile, but would not inhale, as that would be the road to ruin again. I used them to "muddy my mouth while drinking and as you say, something to fiddle with. It is a very complex habit. I am off the nicotine train now, with no intention of ever getting back on. You will get off when you want to, and it can only be when YOU want to. To get off for someone or something else, it think, is only a temporary thing. I once quit for 3 years! :)
Every bit you do for yourself is better than what was before. Like I said, I rooting for ya. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
spro

Post by spro »

Hi, Patio. I haven't smoked a cigar or cigarette for awhile now. Thanks for the encouragement.
spro

Post by spro »

Creative language was the topic. Dang if we aren't seeing it now..
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Harold_V wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:04 am Our friend spro is quite the wordsmith, although it's unusual for me to get the drift of his posts. More a reflection of my poor education than anything, as he's a good guy and is a fountain of knowledge on machine tools. We're happy to have him here, but there are times when I wonder what he's smoking! :)

H
Very well said, Harold. I don't always fully comprehend spro's posts (and I have a minor in English!), but I'd rather have him here than on a street corner, somewhere!

:lol:
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
spro

Post by spro »

Street corners are interesting. You have to maintain the sidewalk and also the access to the fire hydrant for forty years. It is getting more tough and maybe I do end up at the corner.
spro

Post by spro »

Oh heck, Ed. In the middle of the night or early morning, we post stuff. Wish it never happened sometimes. We are going thru the absence of sunlight and lacking vitamin D. :) I liked swing shifts to a point but they can really mess a person up. Talk about "swing shifts", think about our wounded soldiers and marines. They don't even mention it but sleeping with one eye open. Murderers blowing them up, deepest evil ripping away our knights.
There is a radiothon for "Fisher House Foundation" now. I hadn't contributed in a few months, so I placed a donation.
These Men and Women are the kids we walked past. They are horribly injured now. We can't put all the pieces back together again but cannot forget our debt to them. The local number is 888-294-8560 .
This is not religious nor political. ..yet.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

I'll consider that. Just finished writing some charity checks, I can likely write some more.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"