Drill Bit Storage for a Hoarder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

germaneighter

Drill Bit Storage for a Hoarder

Post by germaneighter »

My drill bit storage is pathetic. I have an old US Army tool box tray that all my loose bits go into, along with various, (partially-filled) flip containers of various size. Most of the metal flip boxes come from garage/estate sales that were too cheap to pass-up but just add to my collection. And I never trust the ones that have a large number of smaller bits to be in the correct hole.

I've seen some nice storage ideas from the wood working guys but most have one bit for each size. I may have (20) of one size, (10) of another, or maybe none of the size I need at any given time. (I probably have it....I just give up looking). Also, my eye sight isn't what it use to be so the digital calipers are usually in use.

I would like to see how you all store your twist drill bits.

thanks,
dg
seal killer

Re: Drill Bit Storage for a Hoarder

Post by seal killer »

dg--

We all face(d) that problem. I solved it by buying a metal drill bit storage cabinet. I can't remember what it cost, but it was not expensive. It has drawers labeled from teeny-tiny (pro term) to 1/2" in 1/64 or 1/32 increments. (It's not in front of me and I don't remember.)

I also keep (kept - it's all stored for moving) the shop at fairly low humidity levels by running a large room dehumidifier. ($250 or so and WELL worth it.)

Hope this helps.

--Bill
You are what you write.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Not typically very cheap, but I use the large Huot boxes for bulk storage.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I have a large drawer only for drill bits; there are several boxes in there of varying usefulness.

Long ago I bought a case of bits at auction; the bits were terrible but plentiful. The case is great, because it allows organised storage for many drill bits, 1 to 10 mm 0.5mm divisions
I'll post a picture tomorrow if I remember.

If I remember! hahahahahahahaha!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have nine of these:

They are made by Huot.

I have them for fractional, letter and number drills as well as taps, reamers and end mills.

I just picked up a metric master dispenser cheap at an auction and I'm going to change it to hold imperial sizes (requires adding a divider and different compartments in one drawer):

That one will hold fractional, letter and number drills and have the bottom drawer empty, and I will put my drill index cases in that drawer.

Steve
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Steve--

Mine is the top one.

--Bill
You are what you write.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Wow, I'm jealous. I only have the primary imperial boxes. I really want that big one at the bottom!
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

SteveM wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:44 pm I have nine of these:
Yeow! I have between two and three sets, with odd 'supplemental' bits; this is truly humbling!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Hah, I am with neanderman. 2 full sets, a small handful of duplicates and a large handful of taper shank bigger drills. Oh and a HF set that still has the retaining pin in the case.
I wouldn't have room in the garage for 9 cabinets, much less be able to populate them.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

earlgo wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:56 am I wouldn't have room in the garage for 9 cabinets, much less be able to populate them.
If you put eight of them arranged in a square with the side of one next to the back of the adjacent one, you could put them on a lazy susan and they would take up a space about 20" square.

That's my plan, although I will change a bit with the new one.

I have a bunch of stub drills, so I might repurpose the drill boxes for stub drills.

Steve
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

You could just send me the new box, then you wouldn't have to change anything. Just here to help...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

BadDog wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:51 pm You could just send me the new box, then you wouldn't have to change anything. Just here to help...
What a generous offer!

:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.