Parting tool holder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Parting tool holder

Post by SteveM »

I have a pile of GTN2 parting inserts.

I had a toolholder like this:
gtnB.jpg
gtnB.jpg (11.4 KiB) Viewed 5723 times
but the problem is that the lower portion is not well supported and it actually snapped off.

Tool was cutting great - right until it wasn't cutting at all.

I don't get why they just don't make the underside larger - it's not like it's going to get in the way.

Went to this style:
gtnA.jpg
which has much better support, but not useful on larger diameters.

I'm looking for this type:
gtnC.png
but I'd like one that has a 1/2" mount so that I can get it into an AXA toolholder, which has a 1/2" limit.

Most of them are 3/4' to 1".

I'd also like to get one that doesn't cost $100.

Anyone know of a good deal?

Steve
martik777

Re: Parting tool holder

Post by martik777 »

https://www.banggood.com/MGEHR-1212-2-1 ... rehouse=CN

I've used these for years - they even work well with 4140 3/4"+

I wouldn't be surprised if your inserts would fit
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

How about something like this, a self-contained cutoff toolholder. The height will have to be changed if you need to extend or shorten the stickout to accomodate deeper cuts or for more rigidity.

https://www.shars.com/universal-parting ... pe-107-axa
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

RMinMN wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:17 am How about something like this, a self-contained cutoff toolholder. The height will have to be changed if you need to extend or shorten the stickout to accomodate deeper cuts or for more rigidity.

https://www.shars.com/universal-parting ... pe-107-axa
I have two of those and they are a pain to use because, as you mentioned, they need to have the height changed when you move the blade.

Also, they don't accept the holders for GTN and other parting inserts.

I have a machinist-made one that hods that type of blade horizontally. Much better. Don't know why they don't make them this way.

Steve
Last edited by SteveM on Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

martik777 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:56 pm https://www.banggood.com/MGEHR-1212-2-1 ... rehouse=CN

I've used these for years - they even work well with 4140 3/4"+

I wouldn't be surprised if your inserts would fit
My inserts won't fit that holder.

Banggood's search on their website is awful. The more terms you put in to narrow the search, the more results you get because it uses "and" instead of "or".

You put in "cutoff" and you get two pages of results. You put in "cutoff lathe tool" you get 14 pages.

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

Last I knew, Iskar used a tall, very thin support "tool holder". These holders could plunge the cutting bits deeper into stock. If it ain't wide, its tall and the compound removed .
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

Banggood's search on their website is awful.
Is not just Banggood, there are many companies that do not understand the issue.
Parts that are mostly characterize by dimensions need to have a dimension selector.
I do not want to look 97 pages of randomized ball bearings or gears to find the one I need.

As for the inclined T blade holder. Mine sticks out 1/2" which will cover 99.5% of the parting I do. resetting when needed is not so complicated but for that I probably switch to the insert type tool, the blade is 1" deep and straight horizontal.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

tornitore45 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:50 am As for the inclined T blade holder. Mine sticks out 1/2" which will cover 99.5% of the parting I do. resetting when needed is not so complicated but for that I probably switch to the insert type tool, the blade is 1" deep and straight horizontal.
The advantage of having the two that I have is one is set deeper, so I just swap toolholders.

That works for my HSS parting blades, but I'd like to use these inserts. They work really well. On brass and aluminum I don't even have to go into backgear.

Steve
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

SteveM wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:32 am
Also, they don't accept the holders for GTN and other parting inserts.

I have a machinist-made one that hods that type of blade horizontally. Much better. Don't know why they don't make them this way.

Steve
That's because they are designed and made for has cut off blades. The angle gives you built in positive rake.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

whateg0 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:39 am That's because they are designed and made for has cut off blades. The angle gives you built in positive rake.
There are actually blades for those that take GTN inserts, but the smallest holder they will fit is a BXA, probably because they would be too fragile when cut down enough to fit the AXA parting toolholder.
gtnD.jpg
Steve
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Make a holder! I have 4-5 of those insert holders ,one of which resides in a shop made holder block which is 1/2 " The rest are 3/4 which fits my Multi-fix style post,they can take up to 22MM = a bit over 3/4" Bad thing is I have at least 3 different styles/widths of inserts !
www.chaski.com
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Why not make one that fits your needs?