TM 2021 Prep

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

kbarnett

Re: TM 2021 Prep

Post by kbarnett »

I think I know who you’re talking about pointiacguy1!!!!
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:32 pm There is nothing worse at ANY track than to have some piddling slow-poke hogging up the facilities for an hour or two while he loads his one locomotive and 5 or 6 cars. Do everyone a favor including yourself: Get all your stuff in position nearby, get your vehicle into position, roll your equipment onto your truck/trailer, put ONE clamp or tie down on each piece just to keep it from rolling away or moving around too much, then pull away from the loading facilities. Once you are out of the way, you can then spend the next hour and a half putting 40 ratchet straps on from every imaginable angle, clamping down, double-bolting, and then jouncing the trailer to make sure that nothing moves. That sort of stuff should all be done without being at the loading ramp and blocking everyone else. If it takes you more than 30 minutes at the loading ramp, then you should re-think your loading routine.

Been a victim of that. I remember one guy at TM who loaded a flat car up on a lumber rack on a pickup. By my actual count he put 17 bungee cords on that car before he was done. Think it would make it home that way? :|

Below is a snappie of my hold-down brackets. Obviously, a different arrangement is needed for different cars, but the idea is to roll the car in and flip down the toggle clamps. Zoom, zoom, and you're done. Not seen in the photo are little tabs that catch the underside of the car, making the bracket like a C-clamp — the toggles are not just pushing down on the car's suspension. The clamp in the photo is at the front end of the trailer. The clamps at the back door end can be bolted in place later as Pontiacguy suggests. (Tie-downs are another whole thread. I don't mean to hijack this one.)

Also below is a shot of a trailer tire I caught just as I was leaving for a meet. Be sure your tires are not more than six years old, and check them thoroughly before pulling out.

DSCN4722.JPG
IMG_2367.JPG
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I think I know who you’re talking about pointiacguy1!!!!
I wasn't thinking about just one person in particular... I've seen this kind of stuff happen many times, with several different people over the years. One guy a long time ago rolled all of his stuff up the ramp and in the way where nobody could load anything, even though he didn't even have his trailer hooked up yet. There were two trailers sitting in position ready to load, but they couldn't finish because this guy's locomotive was sitting on the transfer table, and all his cars were in the way while he was off hooking up his trailer that he couldn't even back into place until someone else moved.
It was infuriating, to say the least.

I put the one locomotive and 5 or 6 cars reference in my previous post because, obviously, if you have a lot more stuff it's going to take you a lot longer. A typical train traveling to someone's meet, which is usually about 5 or 6 pieces, should take 30 minutes or less to load and get out of the way. If you are bringing 4 locomotives and 20 cars, then obviously it is gonna take a little extra time.

And that's another thing... If you're one of those 'don't you dare touch my locomotive!' types, you need to make sure that your stuff is out of the way and is not going to block anyone else from getting out or moving. Most people don't care if you move their stuff out of the way, as long as you are careful with it and put it back. If you are paranoid about it, then make sure that you store it so that nobody has any valid reason to need to move it. Ran into a guy years ago that was one of these types, but also liked to park his crap in the front of the steaming bays, where you would HAVE to move it if you were behind him. He got all bent out of shape quite a few times, but would never learn or change. Just being a stubborn jerk I guess.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

all of this is good reason to get to a loco size that you can pick up and put in the back of your Subaru. :D

old age...frustration...high blood pressure...bad backs...impatience....

pick one...or all :shock:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:16 am all of this is good reason to get to a loco size that you can pick up and put in the back of your Subaru. :D

old age...frustration...high blood pressure...bad backs...impatience....

pick one...or all :shock:
My wife Ginny picks up my little LNER Atlantic by her self and carries it to the parking lot where our car is. We NEVER block a loading ramp. I carry the tender and riding car. And a second trip for the tool box and coal and steam up blower and we’re good to go.
There is a lot to be said for 3/4” scale!

Keith Taylor
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

remember Bill Moorewood...carrying Raritan by the stack with everything else under his left elbow?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:32 pm There is nothing worse at ANY track than to have some piddling slow-poke hogging up the facilities for an hour or two while he loads his one locomotive and 5 or 6 cars. Do everyone a favor including yourself: Get all your stuff in position nearby, get your vehicle into position, roll your equipment onto your truck/trailer, put ONE clamp or tie down on each piece just to keep it from rolling away or moving around too much, then pull away from the loading facilities. Once you are out of the way, you can then spend the next hour and a half putting 40 ratchet straps on from every imaginable angle, clamping down, double-bolting, and then jouncing the trailer to make sure that nothing moves. That sort of stuff should all be done without being at the loading ramp and blocking everyone else. If it takes you more than 30 minutes at the loading ramp, then you should re-think your loading routine.
I love it! Now if we could just get you up here, we could both go give lessons at our local boat launch. :roll:
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:15 pm Also below is a shot of a trailer tire I caught just as I was leaving for a meet. Be sure your tires are not more than six years old, and check them thoroughly before pulling out.

DSCN4722.JPG

IMG_2367.JPG
As a former auto parts and tires importer, do yourself a favor. Don't buy trailer tires. They are made mostly in China now and not held to the same rigorous DOT testing that car and truck tires undergo for US certification. I've had new tires grow big lumps on the side walls, split like in the picture, get internal de-laminations where they looked fine but at speed the tire carcass wobbled all over the place.....all kinds of trouble. Went to load range D or E truck tires on my trailers(as GVW requires) and pushing 10 years old now with no issues.
They may not be as easy to get especially in 14" sizes, but they do make them in 14" for the smaller Isuzu turbo diesel cube vans and the like. It's far better than having a blowout and jack-knifing your whole setup, or having to leave it on the side of a road and have your contents and/or trailer stolen while off hunting down another tire.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I've had great success over the years with Carlisle brand trailer tires. They can be inflated to 60 psi, but I run with them at lower pressures.
Good tread life and never a delimitation or blowout, unlike other brands.
RussN
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

NP317 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:37 pm I've had great success over the years with Carlisle brand trailer tires. They can be inflated to 60 psi, but I run with them at lower pressures.
Good tread life and never a delimitation or blowout, unlike other brands.
RussN
This is true, but with a caveat. Carlisle went overseas around 2010? the last time I looked. The ones on my trailer were ok just worn out, and it was the replacements that were from China that one developed a giant sidewall bubble that rubbed on the trailer frame...was surprised I made it home but I did go pretty slow. I haven't had to buy anymore trailer tires in years :D , so not up to speed with where what brands are being made now.

FYI trailer tires are only tested for their weight carrying ability. A car and truck tire goes through a 4 hour 100mph test at double the weight rating in 100* heat with a simulated brake dragging and cannot delaminate blowout or deform.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I have Goodyear on both of my trailers and they do say made in the USA.

Jim B
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Best suggestion I can give someone when considering "how to transport equipment" in an SUV, pick 'em up truck or trailer...stand around the loading/unloading facilities at their home track...or at other tracks. WATCH what others have done. Ask questions (ask if you can take photos). Make mental notes of what works well (and what doesn't work well)...THEN, figure out what you want to do.

As other have noted, there's nothing worse than getting behind someone that takes forever to unload...or takes forever and longer to load. When the event is over, most people want to get out as quickly as possible. Get the equipment loaded and secured enough...to pull away from the loading area...AND THEN...finish securing equipment for the ride home.

Sometimes people are more than willing to help get things in position for loading. Just need to inform them politely...1) thanx but no thanx...OR... 2) tell them what they can grab or maybe what NOT to grab. The quicker your loading and securing...the less chance of assistance being needed or damaging your equipment.

Bottom line though...getting in or out of the loading/unloading facilities can enhance or detract from the experience. Happy loading! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!