TM 2021 Prep

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: TM 2021 Prep

Post by Greg_Lewis »

ccvstmr wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:26 pm
Sometimes people are more than willing to help get things in position for loading. Just need to inform them politely...1) thanx but no thanx...OR... 2) tell them what they can grab or maybe what NOT to grab. The quicker your loading and securing...the less chance of assistance being needed or damaging your equipment.

I'm reminded of loading once when someone came up behind me as I was pushing a riding car into the trailer. I was at the front of the car and without my awareness, he gave it a shove from the rear and I almost fell on my face. Thanks for the thought, buddy, but please ask first. And if my steamer ever gets finished, it will have several "no push" zones that have fragile detail.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

the only thing that gets to me is when someone is standing around talking and not making any forward progress.
I personally dislike any one trying to talk to me when i am loading/unloading or steaming up. this is how mistake happen.
I also put a lot of thought in to the loading process.
I am able to load 6 passenger cars and a steam locomotive and tender and have even locked down in about 20 minutes with my latest setup.
Attachments
MVIMG_20180728_174422.jpg
MVIMG_20180728_165000.jpg
MVIMG_20180728_164959.jpg
MVIMG_20180728_135100.jpg
MVIMG_20180728_185604.jpg
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I am sure you already have all those covers secured before you start rolling that stuff into your truck, too.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:23 pm I am sure you already have all those covers secured before you start rolling that stuff into your truck, too.
of course, my fat butt is not climbing up there to do so after words.
Last edited by Harold_V on Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove unacceptable comment
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Damn cool rack Chris. I need to do something like that to get above the 5th wheel hitch. The trailer works pretty darn well. But like anything, I am still working out the best way to tie down. It's far better than the ropes and trucker hitches my dad I used back in the day when we used to go to Goleta.
Attachments
image0.jpeg
IMG_8959.JPG
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Now here is how to pack a locomotive!

Keith
Attachments
51F56031-73E0-43DB-A2A0-7141F68C9822.jpeg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

being the eternal pessimist that i am...

get hit in a front end collision...you rear end someone (never!) or get run off the road and hit a tree...or....
truck stops suddenly
air bag goes off to keep you from being impaled on the steering wheels..just as
the top rack of RR cars continues forward, slicing off the roof of the cab..and anything else in the way...
hopefully you are short enough that it clears your cranium...

40 years ago...lost a good friend who was driving a 'utility body' pickup truck with the rear sliding door open.

He came to a very sudden stop (run off the road into a ditch...) and the sliding door took off the top of the cab...

it isn't the stuff you think about but the stuff you don't think about that gets you.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

bill, the way the rack is secured, the bed would have to be ripped from the frame to so anywhere but what ever
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I have witnessed CBrew's loading of his train at TM. He not kidding: 20 minutes and he's driving away to finish recurring the load.
And indeed, a crash is not likely to whack the cab rood. The bed might get ripped off instead. Serious design and construction.
And his coaches are pretty light weight, despite their large size.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

is good you have taken such into consideration. many drive down the road oblivious to the forces involved in a crash...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Reason for me asking that is to show that you, like most considerate and time-conscious people, will do as much prep work before hand as possible and will have everything as close to ready to go as possible before you start the actual loading process.

The loading ramp should only be required to physically move your equipment into or out of your vehicle, and the time it takes to do that, plus minimal securing of equipment so that it doesn't move out of position, is all the time it should take for you to load up at the ramp. If you are going to be slow or you are unsure about how it is going to go, then try to pick a time when you won't be in anyone's way such as early in the morning or late at night. At our meets, if you wait and load up at 7 PM, then there is usually nobody waiting for the loading ramps and you can take all the time that you need. Once someone else is waiting on you to finish, then the focus should be getting out of the way as quickly as possible.

One other thing that I might point out... How well you secure your equipment might also depend on how far you have to travel with it. For instance, if I'm going home from our club track, I don't put nearly as many straps down on the cars because I'm only going about 25 miles, and almost all of it is rural driving on a good road. When I get home, all I have to do is unhook the trailer and I'm done. If I was going to, let's say Texas and would have to drive through Arkansas with their terrible roads, I would add quite a few more straps to everything to make sure it wasn't going to bounce around too much.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:52 am
Reason for me asking that is to show that you, like most considerate and time-conscious people, will do as much prep work before hand as possible and will have everything as close to ready to go as possible before you start the actual loading process.

The loading ramp should only be required to physically move your equipment into or out of your vehicle, and the time it takes to do that, plus minimal securing of equipment so that it doesn't move out of position, is all the time it should take for you to load up at the ramp. If you are going to be slow or you are unsure about how it is going to go, then try to pick a time when you won't be in anyone's way such as early in the morning or late at night. At our meets, if you wait and load up at 7 PM, then there is usually nobody waiting for the loading ramps and you can take all the time that you need. Once someone else is waiting on you to finish, then the focus should be getting out of the way as quickly as possible.
Correct.
Pontiacguy1 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:52 am One other thing that I might point out... How well you secure your equipment might also depend on how far you have to travel with it. For instance, if I'm going home from our club track, I don't put nearly as many straps down on the cars because I'm only going about 25 miles, and almost all of it is rural driving on a good road. When I get home, all I have to do is unhook the trailer and I'm done. If I was going to, let's say Texas and would have to drive through Arkansas with their terrible roads, I would add quite a few more straps to everything to make sure it wasn't going to bounce around too much.
Not for me, If i am entering the public road ways, the load is always fully secured.