TM 2021 Prep

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

NP317

Re: TM 2021 Prep

Post by NP317 »

Considering that most car accidents happen within 25 miles of the drivers' homes, I'm with CBrew.
Leave home with a fully secured load, every time.
I don't like repairing my trains.
RussN
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Last time I was at TM I had one of the “loading helpers” telling me how I needed to load my train. I told him that was unsafe and would not do so. I reminded him this was my train, my truck, and my safety at stake. I never got mad.

He told me load it his way or it “ain’t gonna happen”.
I reminded him of my safety and then he literally moved the lift to the next person in line. That’s when I got mad.

It’s one thing to suggest things, but to mandate to someone else is ludicrous.
Matt Mason
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

mattmason wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:28 pm Last time I was at TM I had one of the “loading helpers” telling me how I needed to load my train. I told him that was unsafe and would not do so. I reminded him this was my train, my truck, and my safety at stake. I never got mad.

I reminded him of my safety and then he literally moved the lift to the next person in line. That’s when I got mad.

This is why loading monitors should only be present as a helping hand (emphasis: helping) in backing the trailer to the dock/actual (in)loading of equipment, or just to keep the line moving. To dictate the manner in how equipment is loaded (or secured in the vehicle) is beyond their abilities, and actually places liability on the individual as well as TM itself.
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

I would think anybody that mandates a loading method would be assuming liability both personally and for the organization should something go wrong.
illigitimi non carborundum
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

mattmason wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:28 pm Last time I was at TM I had one of the “loading helpers” telling me how I needed to load my train. I told him that was unsafe and would not do so. I reminded him this was my train, my truck, and my safety at stake. I never got mad.

I think we found that if you load at odd hours you can do it on your own. That's one aspect of the operation I didn't care for either.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

There's no better way for someone to ruin your personal experience than to shower you with ill-placed negativity for your first or last exposure at a track. Hopefully, those types of people are few and far between.

Have a friend that contributes here on occasion. He has a great response for the model critics out there. Might equally apply to this situation. Goes something like this..."Why don't YOU show me how YOU load/unload YOUR equipment safely!" If that doesn't tactfully put said person in his place...THEN...a suggestion about a long walk off a short pier might be well expressed.

At private track, an "uninvited" supplier showed up and spread his products on a blanket on the lawn. The supplier had the best of intentions, but could have at least given the track owner a courtesy call to ask for permission BEFORE showing up. The track owner provided the following calm response..."Thank you for coming and thank you for not coming back!" Can't get any clearer than that without getting upset.

Think many of us run out of patience when trying to be good hobbyists and know there are persons waiting to get unloaded or loaded. Sometimes we just need to suck it up...and hope we don't encounter THAT "problem hobbyist" elsewhere. Bottom line...a GOOD means of restraining equipment to make loading or unloading quick and easy...goes a long way when you're either starting or finishing a track visit. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Matt's description of his TM experience tells a bad story.

I am always willing to lend a helping hand, but I always ask the person HOW I can help them.
And then follow their requests.
RussN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

after getting parked, I simply tell the attendant not to touch anything, i will handle it from here. end of story
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.