Bagley burner too hot.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Emfinger

Bagley burner too hot.

Post by Emfinger »

My engine is a 2-4-2 1.5" scale and my burner is too large of a flame for the firebox. When I try to turn it down (reduce blower, atomizer pressure and fuel) is goes out. I'm not able to create a smaller flame, nor can I use the steam fast enough. Is there a way I can modify the burner to make a smaller flame? Keep in mind if I turn the atomizer down the burner will drip.
Thank you
Tom
cbrew

Re: Bagley burner too hot.

Post by cbrew »

but rights, you will need to make a smaller burner.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
The Bagley burner is a great burner if you have a large fire box and need a tremendous amount of heat. It also doesn't like to operate at low settings. Many years ago Karl Hovanitz and I were running my Atlantic on Harry Haas' railroad here in Tehachapi. Harry had a very cool back yard railway with a folded figure eight and a crossing in the center protected by four of his semaphores. I had just finished re building the engine and had re fitted the original Bagley burner. Suddenly everyone started shouting at us and pointing behind the engine. About fifty feet of track were on fire, I hate it when that happens. Railroad Supply was still in business then so as soon as I got home I ordered one of their burners. I have had good results with that burner and have made several over the years. There are plans floating around and it's not hard to make. There are other good designs out there but this is the only one I am familiar with.
Jack
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

My notes show that several builders have suggested that the steam nozzle in the RRSC burner is too big and that the gap between the steam nozzle and the oil nozzle should be half the stated size. Thus the steam nozzle should be .082 and the O.D. of the oil nozzle should be .062. I do not know if all this is correct; just passing along what's in my files. I made one with the adjusted sizes and it worked but I don't have enough miles on it to know much more than that.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

"Railroad Supply was still in business"

It still is in business.

Jim B
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I've got a PDF of various articles on burners that I'll gladly send to anyone who pms me with an email address. I'm not always on line though so you might not get it until Sunday.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

Eccentric Engineer use to sell some small burner nozzles I believe. They looked really nice and a good price. Everything Anthony sells seems to be top notch. Might check with him.

Ps if you decide you want to sell the Bagley burner PM me I would be interested in it.

Tim
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

I still make and sell my Hi-Fyre burner which should work fine for this

Mike Venezia
Highiron@aol.com
TEAMTSM

Post by TEAMTSM »

tom:
more then likely your issue is the oil valve your using, i have many years of testing and i built my own and its a taper needle valve and i have gone thru many different tapers and size and i think you will find if you start working with that first your bagley will work just fine. i have seen these in 1" scale and working just fine in small fireboxes but its dependant on the oil valve itself.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Thank you everyone.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

TEAMTSM wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:19 pm tom:
more then likely your issue is the oil valve your using, i have many years of testing and i built my own and its a taper needle valve and i have gone thru many different tapers and size and i think you will find if you start working with that first your bagley will work just fine. i have seen these in 1" scale and working just fine in small fireboxes but its dependant on the oil valve itself.
Steve you are 100% correct. It has taken me several weeks but I now have a needle type fuel flow control valve. While I was at it I installed the valve about an inch and a half from the burner for quicker response. Now I'm building a remote control for the valve..steel cable in a tube...
Thank you so much for the help and direction.
Tom Emfinger