Most cost efficient way to get steel tire blanks?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

LIALLEGHENY

Re: Most cost efficient way to get steel tire blanks?

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Check out Specialty Pipe and Tube in Ohio /Texas. Another possible is EMJ Metals.

The majority of the smaller online suppliers, Speedy Metals, Metals depot, Online metals, etc, charge a premium . They'll sell you any cut size you want, and they include the cut cost in the price, whereas many large suppliers will only sell full lengths, and charge for cutting.

Nyle
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Fender wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:45 pm Harold, who offers this? Is it available in small quantities? The other challenge is getting tubing in the right diameter, with sufficient wall thickness.
I posted on the strength of the EMJ handbook, which I use as my bible for materials. You can find them online to verify that they actually have the material. (Earl M. Jorgensen)
I used to use them as my source for alloys when I was actively machining. They had a huge inventory and prices were highly competitive. I can't speak for them as of today, as that was many years ago and they may have undergone some less than good changes.

Another good source, at least back then, was Marmon Keystone. They are likely found online, too.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Harold,

I still buy from EMJ. They still have a huge inventory, and everything can be accessed online if you register. Pricing is competitive, but that depends o what your looking for. Pennsylvania steel is another supplier I deal with frequently.

Nyle
WJH

Post by WJH »

I'll keep you in mind, those are much bigger than I need as my wheels need to be scaled 33" but price wise they may win out. I'm over in South Korea at the moment working.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I had good success using Speedymetals, not the cheapest route but always on task.
https://www.speedymetals.com/c-8242-round-tube.aspx
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

We also buy our alloys from EMJ, nothing wrong with them if you want to go with 4140 or another hardening steel. I agree with another poster though and think that a hardened wheel would suffer from low traction.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

rkcarguy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:33 pm I agree with another poster though and think that a hardened wheel would suffer from low traction.
a little tool chatter does not hurt either
you know you worked the locomotive like a mule when you have to brush off the alum dust off of frame :shock: :lol: :wink: :roll:
Fender

Post by Fender »

rkcarguy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:33 pm I agree with another poster though and think that a hardened wheel would suffer from low traction.
Although, in some cases a lower coefficient of friction can be an advantage. I used 4140 pre-hardened for engine truck wheels, where you want a lower amount of friction for going around curves and not having the flanges climb the rail head.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Fender wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:17 pm
Although, in some cases a lower coefficient of friction can be an advantage. I used 4140 pre-hardened for engine truck wheels, where you want a lower amount of friction for going around curves and not having the flanges climb the rail head.
i have found when a flange is climbing the rail head the profile is wrong.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Chris,
My point was that traction is only desirable for driving wheels. Harder wheels for cars and engine trucks should result in lower rolling resistance.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Does anyone know what hardness wheels are on full size locomotives? and what type of steel?
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Pulling out the trusty 1930 Loco Cyc lists the ARA Recommended Practice, 1920 revision.

Carbon Per Cent
Passenger 0.50 to 0.70
Freight 0.60 to 0.80
Switching 0.70 to 0.85

Remaining elements
Manganese 0.50 to 0.75
Phosphorus not over 0.05
Sulphur not over 0.05
Silicon 0.15 to 0.35

So a high carbon steel in 1920.

Edit, this is the makeup of the tires, not the centers.
John Brock