Anyone know of internet plans for ...

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

GeorgeGaskill

Anyone know of internet plans for ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

a brake?
Jacin

Re: Anyone know of internet plans for ...

Post by Jacin »

Hi George,
Are you wanting to build that as a LEAF or PRESS version?
oldgoaly

Post by oldgoaly »

George,
i have not looked lately, but i think there
is a plan(or someone's pics of building)
a leaf brake with angle iron on
www.metalwebnews.org (or is it com???)
Some where i saw where you use your vice
and some special "V" jaws to make small
press!
Take care!
tt
clueless near st.louis
GeorgeGaskill

Re: Don't have a preference, although my ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

experience is limited to manual models that clamp the sheet and are bent by lifting a hinged bar (whatever the proper name for such a machine is.)
Rolly

Post by Rolly »

manual models that clamp the sheet and are bent by lifting a hinged bar (whatever the proper name for such a machine is.

George
There are two types that you described. One is a box & pan break. This type has removal fingers that can be removed so if you bend a pan with four sides, there will be a space for the two sides to go. See attachment. The other is just a break. You can bend two opposed sides only.
GaryHart

Post by GaryHart »

Not on the internet that I know of but there was plans in June 1990 issue of Projects in Metal. Just finished making one last month. try attaching pic of one I did.
Gary Hart
Vancouver, WA
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

George, Look closely at Rolly's picture. The "hinged" part is the LEAF - notice that the Leaf on Rolly's picture has a removeable section. This allows you an additional means of flexibility - I have the same exact brake and THAT feature ALONE has saved my butt several times!!! For one it allows VERY close reverse bends - matter of fact that's what allowed me to make the lid in my "soda fountain" post the other day. That feature has ALSO allowed me to make an ocassional "pittsburg" bend. Combine that with the removeable fingers and well you have quite a versatile tool.

Having been somewhat spoiled by having those particular features I wouldn't even consider a brake that was LESS capable. Well not unless you picked it up for a song!!!!

Of course your needs may dictate otherwise, but I never thought I'd use the removeable leaf section and it seems that I do quite a bit.

BTW the "leaf" is a 1/4" wide with the section removed.

Your mileage may vary!!!
Greg_S

Nice Workmanship Gary!!!

Post by Greg_S »

Man that looks extremely nice! That should be inspiration for those wanting to build a brake. Thanks for sharing the photo and keep up the good work!
Greg
GeorgeGaskill

The style in the picture is what I have used ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

and would be what I would like plans for.

I guess the general opinion is there are no plans for such a brake on the net? :-)
GeorgeGaskill

Gary, that one looks very well done. How well ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

does it work?
GaryHart

Re: Gary, that one looks very well done. How well ...

Post by GaryHart »

Seems to be working good, haven't used much yet. The plans call for the clamping bars to come within .015" of the bend line when the back adjustable eccentrics are in the forward position and only move back about .100" or less when the eccentrics are cranked back. Wish they would move back more so could get more bend radius. Maybe later might move back pivots further back or shorten up the fingers. After doing most of the bending by beating the brass over hunks of metal (for attached model) is what inspired me to build something to make things easier and more accurate.
Vancouver, WA
metalmite

Re: Gary, that one looks very well done. How well ...

Post by metalmite »

WOW!
That's a beauty!
How long did it take?
Is it a hot air engine?
Mite