Which fuel for this burner?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

NP317

Which fuel for this burner?

Post by NP317 »

I purchased perhaps the last available steam atomized oil burner from Eccentric Engineer.

Question: Which oil is it designed for?
Kerosene, diesel, No. 2 stove oil, other? All?
I am planning to use it with Diesel fuel, if OK.

I have a PM in for Anthony of EE, but he's busy moving and I don't expect to hear from him soon.
Anyone able to answer my question?
Thanks in advance.
RussN
FLSTEAM

Re: Which fuel for this burner?

Post by FLSTEAM »

I have an oil burner designed after So you want to build a LS. It will burn Kerosene, Diesel, motor oil and even used motor oil. I burned used motor oil for a while but it is too dirty to mess with. Your burner should work fine on what ever you want.

JB
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Like John says, they'll all burn, some better than others. Diesel is a good one, it puts out a lot of heat and is very easy to get, you should be fine with that. Some will say that waste oils are dangerous to burn due to elements in the exhaust gases. Others will say you'll never burn a large enough quantity to have a significant risk over 'clean' oils.

I hope Anthony's move is going well, it's a terrible time to be doing that. There have to be many unforeseen obstacles. On the other hand, there shouldn't be any fuel surcharges!
John Brock
NP5002

Post by NP5002 »

Hey Russ, I like to burn jet A fuel in my Yellowstone loco or stove oil. The jet A burns a little cleaner so you don't have to clean the flues as often. I found a place in town that sells it to me in my 5 gal cans. They sell stove oil as well. Just do a little research and you might find a source close to ya. I just told them what I was using it for, showed some pictures and they said no problem.
Dave Workman
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thanks all for your input.
I will start with diesel oil, and possibly change to cleaner kerosene if it seems appropriate.
This burner is going in my freshly restored steam launch, which was originally a kerosene burner.
Unfortunately the original burner got tossed along with most new plumbing by a "helpful" person after the owner died suddenly.

Anyway, a trailerable boat means easier to locate fuel has value. Diesel will be readily available anywhere I go.
RussN
Thistle Finished sml.jpg
Burner 5 sml.jpg
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Oh Russ, you can't leave us with just one photo of that beautiful power plant. More, please!
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

OK, Greg. If you insist.
It's a mid-1960s-built Blackstaffe/Wood steeple compound, and Blackstaffe mini 3-drum boiler.
Rated 2 HP, but it's steam...

First pic: Completed rebuild;
Flywheel done 1 small.jpg
2nd pic: Waiting to test;
StT Jess.JPG
3rd pic: The burner assembly with the Eccentric Engineer burner at the core (the two stainless steel parts.)
Burner 1 sml.jpg
We are still waiting for test opportunities. This is a snowy week, so later.
RussN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Thanks, Russ. And from what we can see, the boat looks gorgeous, too.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

BTW kerosene and jet fuel are basically the same thing.

Both have less BTU's than diesel .

JB
NP317

Post by NP317 »

JB: Thanks for making sure I knew of the equivalence of kerosene and jet fuel.

Greg:, Yes, that boat is a beautiful piece of mobile furniture. Cold molded laminated mahogany. It belongs in my living room...
It started life as a Thistle sailboat: light weight, planing hull, and FAST. 15 knots under sail power on a windy day.

I grew up sailing, racing, and camping in our family Thistle. So I've gone full circle. A Steam Thistle.
'Looking forward to some steam time on the waters, between railroad steamings! Valhalla.
Russ