2.5" Vulcan Side Frame

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

BClemens

2.5" Vulcan Side Frame

Post by BClemens »

Almost finished with this...what a chore it has been. Sometimes working with CAD is like a video game; trying numerous ways to 'beat' the game to accomplish a satisfactory result without crashing the software (feels that way anyhow..). Next will be the CAM programs to machine the inside and outside patterns using REN shape. Need to take a break from this for a while... but - stay home! bc
Attachments
Vulcan Truck Final.jpg
Last edited by BClemens on Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mountaineer

Re: 2.5" Vulcan Side Frame

Post by Mountaineer »

Nice!

Mental exercise or future castings?

Mountaineer.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Mountaineer wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:59 am Nice!

Mental exercise or future castings?

Mountaineer.
Thanks! The intent is for future castings. But then also another attempt during the 'stay home' time to remain somewhat sane. I have made iron castings a number of years ago and don't have fond recollections of that so will probably contact a commercial foundry. (356 cast aluminum will probably not be satisfactory for these). That means the match plate will need to meet their specifications. There are no cores although there are a couple of places that could have added detail by making core-prints and the core boxes... complexity costs at a foundry. bc
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Couple more...this is drawn in solids as completely individual parts so can be locally updated. This software has no lettering so each letter/number had to be drawn as a mechanical part. Talk about dark ages...but at this stage I'm used to it and cringe at the thought of learning a new software.

The journal boxes will be a part of these side frames as one piece. Not so sure that bolted journal boxes would be such a good idea especially with a derailment. That is where core boxes will be needed.

Everybody likes a photo...(these are all in perspective) bc
Attachments
Vulcan Truck Final 2.jpg
Vulcan Truck Final 3.jpg
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Very nice! Will you be making casting available for purchase? Hint hint.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Brian Hilgert wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:23 am Very nice! Will you be making casting available for purchase? Hint hint.
Considering passing these solid cad models off to an industrious sort who can/will make castings available. bc
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

BClemens wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:54 pm This software has no lettering so each letter/number had to be drawn as a mechanical part.
One way to avoid this is to do the lettering in another product like Inkscape, which is free and supports saves in svg/dxf. Import the 2d, scale it, position it, extrude it and then combine/merge it. You still have to go back and do any tapering/filleting to individual edges and faces, but I have found it speeds things up and allows you to easily do things like putting text on a path or adjusting kerning/spacing of letters.
John Brock
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

jcbrock wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:03 am
BClemens wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:54 pm This software has no lettering so each letter/number had to be drawn as a mechanical part.
One way to avoid this is to do the lettering in another product like Inkscape, which is free and supports saves in svg/dxf. Import the 2d, scale it, position it, extrude it and then combine/merge it. You still have to go back and do any tapering/filleting to individual edges and faces, but I have found it speeds things up and allows you to easily do things like putting text on a path or adjusting kerning/spacing of letters.
Thanks! I'll definitely look into that. It's a task to line up the lettering plane then build each letter. bc
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

What CAD software are you using?
"We'll cross that bridge once we realize nobody ever built one."
BClemens

Re: 2.5

Post by BClemens »

thunderskunk wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:43 am What CAD software are you using?
I'm using Kuboteck KeyCreator 9.0. CAD/CAM. Old version but it works very well. I've done many, many CNC machine parts using this software - with Mach3 and the embeded software in a Haas CNC machine too. Also used it for running a Sciaky electron beam welder...wrote my own post processor for it. It is good 3D software with features that I still haven't used. bc
mspetersen

Post by mspetersen »

Fusion 360 is free to Hobbyists. It's an excellent CAD program too.
Mark Petersen

12" x 36" Logan Lathe
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Funny I was just struggling with an issue modeling something today and I reached out to a friend of mine, he had a great quote:

"3D modeling is like wresting with a bear. You will never be stronger with the bear, but you have to be smarter than the bear". Very true!!