Steam Age Boilers

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Jace.evans

Steam Age Boilers

Post by Jace.evans »

I recently purchased a railroad supply American in May and have been working on it all summer. I live in Utah and in order to operate at a club, I have to have it inspected by the state. The problem is, is that the seller didn’t have the papers for it. Does anyone have paperwork showing how these boilers were built?
NP317

Re: Steam Age Boilers

Post by NP317 »

Contact Railroad Supply?
http://www.railroadsupply.com
RussN
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Jace

PM me.

Steve
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

X
southwestern737

Post by southwestern737 »

Most Steam Age boilers were built to the original manufacturers prints, although sometimes if the owner wanted something custom new prints were drawn, I have some of the revised drawings. Send me the name of the person who ordered the boiler, type of engine, and some idea of the date and I will check my drawings.
Brent
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

BRENT the first owner of this steam age boiler was Chet Crosley. He ordered it after his original copper boiler went bad. Seemed to be a problem with there copper boilers for some reason. I think he was living in Paradise Ca. time would have been around 2007 to 2009 . .I purchased this engine from his grandson on 1/26/2009.if that helps. i never recieved paper work on boiler. i believe he destroyed it?? tried to call his old # but answering machine was full. anything you can do to help Jace would be very appreciated . He has been working on this engine for 2 months hoping he could get it running before going back to school. Bob
southwestern737

I just dug through all of the Steam Age boiler drawings that I have and did not find a drawing for a RRSC 4-4-0 steel boiler. Sorry if I got your hopes up.
Brent
Jace.evans

Post by Jace.evans »

You don’t have any paperwork? I have the drawings but I need a paper describing the materials and everything
southwestern737

No I don't, I thought you needed the drawing. What you are looking for would have supplied to the buyer with the boiler.
Brent
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Surely the state inspectors office can inspect a miniature boiler without a full bill of materials for the boiler. There’s so many of these little boilers out there that were built at home, or like yours have changed hands too much and the paperwork lost. I know for Georgia, they do a visual inspection, then a hydro test, followed by a steam test to demonstrate the safeties.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

A full bill of materials usually means they are trying to certify the boiler for commercial operation. Different certification process than hobby boilers - usually.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:19 pm A full bill of materials usually means they are trying to certify the boiler for commercial operation. Different certification process than hobby boilers - usually.
True. But if they were going for a commercial certification wouldn’t they need an S stamp boiler? An S stamp boiler would already have those documents on file that could be looked up based on the NBIC number stamped into the boiler.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works