Is this any good for way oil?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

LouStule

Is this any good for way oil?

Post by LouStule »

I bought this full quart of oil at a garage sale for .25 cents. It is very thick and sticky. Any ideas on if this would make good way oil or did I yet again waste a quarter at a yard sale? Thanks, Lou.
Attachments
SAE 75W-90
SAE 75W-90
way oil.jpg (49.25 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
Steggy

Re: Is this any good for way oil?

Post by Steggy »

LouStule wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:21 pm I bought this full quart of oil at a garage sale for .25 cents.
EP gear lubricants are not a good choice for machine ways. Way oil is moderate viscosity product, equivalent in viscosity to 10W-30 motor oil. I recommend you spend the money needed to purchase the proper oil and thus protect your investment in your machine. A one gallon jug will probably last you for several years at least.

Incidentally, EP lubes should not be used in any assembly containing a bronze part. An example would be a worm-gear speed reducer, as almost all of them have a bronze worm wheel.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
LouStule

Post by LouStule »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:45 pm
LouStule wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:21 pm I bought this full quart of oil at a garage sale for .25 cents.
Incidentally, EP lubes should not be used in any assembly containing a bronze part. An example would be a worm-gear speed reducer, as almost all of them have a bronze worm wheel.
Thank you very much for the info!
ChipMaker4130

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

Actually, way oil viscosity varies with the application. Flat/box ways often use a lower viscosity while Vee ways use higher. The ever-popular Mobile Vactra No. 2 is ISO-68, or roughly 30W. Although it isn't necessarily the best for Vee ways, it is readily available, not terribly expensive and works well enough. Ultimately, any oil regularly applied is better than none!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Vactra 4 is heavier than vactra 2 and is intended for vertical surfaces.

In any event, way oil contains stuff to prevent stick-slip - where something initially doesn't want to move then all of a sudden moves too much.

My suggestion is find four guys that need way oil, buy a gallon and split it.

Oh, and you didn't waste a quarter. That stuff is good for your rear differential. Differentials need oil that is thick, sticks to things and can take high pressures.

Steve
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Here is the lube information that came with the Atlas 12" lathe in 1958. I believe that the Craftsman lathes were made by the Atlas Press Co in Kalamazoo, MI but I may be mistaken. This is from the "Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinist Tables" that was supplied with the lathe.
Atlas manual pg 4
Atlas manual pg 4
Atlas manual pg 6
Atlas manual pg 6
Atlas manual pg 7
Atlas manual pg 7
No fancy stuff, just automotive oil and gear oil. This may have been before Vactra which I use now.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Interesting that the only thing it says for the ways is "keep clean and well-oiled".

And yes, Atlas made the 6", 9", 10" and 12" craftsman lathes except for one 6" model that was made by Ann Arbor engineering.

If the model number starts 101 then it's an atlas.

Steve
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Cannot find Vactra # 2 or Shell Tonna way oil here in the Philippines, resorting to Stihl Chain and Bar oil, maybe not the best to stop coolant, oil separation, but rarely use coolant so hope I am doing the right thing.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Cannot find Vactra # 2 or Shell Tonna way oil here in the Philippines, resorting to Stihl Chain and Bar oil, maybe not the best to stop coolant, oil separation, but rarely use coolant so hope I am doing the right thing.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

earlgo wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:45 am Here is the lube information that came with the Atlas 12" lathe in 1958. I believe that the Craftsman lathes were made by the Atlas Press Co in Kalamazoo, MI but I may be mistaken. This is from the "Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinist Tables" that was supplied with the lathe.Atlas Lathe lube #1.jpgAtlas Lathe Lube #2.jpgAtlas Lathe lube #3.jpg
No fancy stuff, just automotive oil and gear oil. This may have been before Vactra which I use now.
--earlgo
Historical note: even as late as the early 1960s, saying "automotive oil" did not mean detergent oil. I'm old enough to remember when going to the gas station to buy a quart of oil I would get detergent oil only if I asked for detergent oil. Given when that manual was published (I would have been 13 at the time and was already pretty familiar with machinery, engines, etc.), I would take it to mean non-detergent motor oil.
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Hydraulic oil is non-detergent and is available everywhere.
"tractor" gear oil is also hydraulic oil and non-detergent.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

liveaboard wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:18 am Hydraulic oil is non-detergent and is available everywhere.
"tractor" gear oil is also hydraulic oil and non-detergent.
That is true. However oils that are intended for use on machine tool slideways are formulated to minimize the "sticktion" effect that can result in jerky tool or work motion when under load. Given the relatively slow rate at which one uses machine oil there is really no good reason to not purchase the correct product for the application. For most recent vintage machine tools, Vactra #2 or similar for horizontal slideways and Vactra #4 or similar for vertical slideways works well.