opinion; old German milling machine

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: opinion; old German milling machine

Post by spro »

My tractor is much smaller. It has the original Cooper tires. Chains were attached at times. Yes, you can't even give away tires when they are shot.
It is cool as it can be. Your wonderful tractor is in good shape (because you fixed everything about it) Right there to deal with a special milling machine.
Man. There are things that you will maybe tell.
I think it has everything going.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

10 years ago I went shopping for a tractor with 2 criteria; it had to be 4000 euros or less, and it had to have a front end loader.
This thing was what came home.
I like it, it's been a good tractor for me.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Will not relate what a thread set for our styger costs..no front or rear.. all are the same
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Transport guys called; said they'd bring it on Friday, and they understand I have a forklift, but did I also have a pallet wagon because it would be in the center of the truck and we'll need to get it to the rear for unloading.
I said no; but we can drag it along with a rope and the tractor if the floor is reasonable and they have a few minutes.

I think they don't usually move 1 ton objects.
I'm all excited!
pete

Post by pete »

Talk to the truck driver, once it's dragged to the back of the truck pick it up on your forks about a foot then have the driver slowly pull the truck ahead. Then lower it very close to the ground. Much safer than having a load that might be towards the upper end of your tractors lifting capacity and moving the tractor at all. Heavy loads are almost always done that way.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:38 am NO SUCH THING as a tractor that is too big..unless you live in the concrete city.
You can say that again. I bought a Kubota B2150 (one of the largest B series) thinking it was too big for my 1.3 acres, so "just right". But I'm constantly running up against its limitations, and wishing I had gone bigger. To an L or comparable at a minimum...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

My Farmal 560 is about as big a tractor as I need. I mostly use the IH544, though, except when I need something small: then I use the Ford 8N.

It's not so much that you need a bigger tractor as it is that you need *more* tractors.

I'd really like to have all wheel drive, though. And more hydraulics. Can't have to much hydraulics.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I didn't want a tractor as big as I got; or 4wd either.
But it's like getting a dog I think, after a short time you just love it whatever it is.

Since I have plenty of HP. I upgraded my mower to double the blades; so each spindle now had 2 crossed arms, now I mow faster. It's a 9' wide deck.

I upgraded the hydraulic pump + 50%, and recently added a 3-bank control block for the front end loader + hedge cutter.
Another 10 years of repair, tinkering, and modifications, and it will be a great machine.
3 lever hydraulic valve Mercury 85.jpg
Made new forward braces for the loader; the old ones were straight rods and interfered with the steering.
This is made from solid square rod, 30x30mm, and plate 15 x 120mm.
FEL brace mounted.jpg
Next; a front grill, tinwork and paint for the engine cover.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Tin work and paint? On a working tractor? <shudder/> :lol:

I've seen your posts on some of the upgrades. Very impressive work, but you are way more enthusiastic than I am! Two thumbs up!
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I don't intend to make it all pristine, but it has rustholes on top now, and the headlights need to fit in there so it's road legal.
Since I keep smashing headlights and they're expensive, I want a solid grill up front.
So with all that going on, a little hammering and painting will do no harm.

I use it out on the road when I cut the hedge, so it has road insurance, lights, and all that.
And I had to get a tractor operating license too.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

liveaboard writes:
> I use it out on the road when I cut the hedge, so it has road insurance, lights, and all that.
> And I had to get a tractor operating license too.

Here the law says that farmers can operate tractors for short distances on public roads when going from one field to another. I don't think that it is possible for a tractor to be road legal as a truck would be: even newer ones lack all sorts of required features.

However, the actual practice is that we drive our tractors anywhere at all except the Interstate with complete impunity. Agriculture is the #1 industry in the region. Even closer to the cities I don't think that you would hassled for driving on the edge of the road while trimming a hedge.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Policing is different everywhere...
We're over policed; which is good sometimes, but other times not so much.
Our local outpost is manned by feds. Well, since the country only has 10 million people, more like US state cops.
The police are rotated around, they aren't locals; and they get frustrated. One I talked to said he hates it out here.
"Why?" I asked, "There's practically no crime."
"And how can I make arrests, get promoted, and get a better post?" he asked.
Portugal uses traffic fines as a revenue steam. Safety inspection a day late, $300. Road tax a day late, $300 more.
Ask how I know...
I was warned to park between the lines when I'm down in the village.
650 residents and 10 of them are cops with little to do in off season.
They aren't usually strict with tractors on country roads, but they want the lights to work, especially indicators. I haven't been troubled by them while tractoring,
Yet.
And there's the insurance issue.
I have quite a bit of traffic, it's the road to the beach. Tourists in a hurry, ignoring the caution signs I put out, speeding along in rented econobxes.
I pay for insurance and I want it to be valid. That means the old thing needs to be road legal.