Mill Riser

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Randall Va

Mill Riser

Post by Randall Va »

Anyone know if a Bridgport riser will fie an Excello mil? Thanks
www.chaski.com
Rich_Carlstedt

Re: Mill Riser

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Is this any help

https://eisenm.com/products/milling-mac ... ills-6inch

Years ago our shop needed a riser for a BP , but I do not remember the specs
Just had a Local guy cast and machine it......pretty funny as we had a bigger and better shop,
but he did rough stuff
Rich
Randall Va

Post by Randall Va »

thanks Rich
www.chaski.com
TimTheGrim

Post by TimTheGrim »

I added the 4” riser from Wholesale Tool to my Birmingham mill. I have a later ‘90s Taiwan head with Chinese turret, knee and base.
It fit fine and trammed perfectly. I’ve been really glad I did the addition And have often made use of the extra height.

https://wttool.com/catalog/product_info ... s_id=42542
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired
RSG

Post by RSG »

It looks smaller than a Bridgeport so likely not. I also have a 3/4 Bridgeport clone that I added a riser to but I had to cast my own as there was nothing on the aftermarket that fit.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I can't confirm the accuracy of these at this time but this site has dimensions of the risers they sell.

https://eisenm.com/products/milling-mac ... ills-6inch
pete

Post by pete »

Afaik pretty much every ram equipped BP clone has a machined area with the degree markings on it at the top of the column. Wrap a tape measure around that to get a close enough measurement and divide by Pi to get the diameter. Compare that to what those Eisen drawings have to see if there in the ball park. If they are then it would be worth pulling the head, ram and turret cap for more detailed measurements. An hr or two would re-re those parts. If the number isn't even close there's no point in doing that anyway and you might be forced into doing what RSG did if you need one bad enough. But he went the extra mile and his casting was far heavier than it seems what most of the off the shelf one's are. So he's said there were no changes to his mill for rigidity or extra chatter that some mention when adding those risers.
RSG

Post by RSG »

pete wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:07 pm So he's said there were no changes to his mill for rigidity or extra chatter that some mention when adding those risers.
This is true! I did make it thicker with the final wall thickness of almost .75", as for size, that Eisenm is 14.96" dia which looks too big based on an Ex-cell-o I saw on YT. It looks more like the size I cast for mine.

Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Yeah, the eisen is meant for a Bridgeport so it likely is too big for the excello. I figured the numbers would let him figure out if his was Bridgeport sized though