best way to get started?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mike Walsh

Re: best way to get started?

Post by Mike Walsh »

Start with a proven design, and start with something humble. If you try to build a 4-6-6-4 straight off the bat, you will get overwhelmed trying to learn and trying not to make mistakes.

1.5" examples: Little Engines Crab, Allen Models Harper 2-4-0,
1" examples: Little Engines 0-4-0, Coles 0-4-0 (these pop up from time to time, there was just a fairly complete casting kit up for sale for $250, a steal, if you ask me)
3/4" examples: Kozo 0-4-0, Shields/Vaughn Tom Thumb (the entire article is in Live Steam magazine, another reason to get "in" the group, you can do research with other members)

To be honest, in my area, I have been trying to offer local youth the opportunity to get into live steam. These youth I speak of are part of the 12" gauge group that I volunteer with, and they have dreams of building their own engine, and while I admit that my past demeanor has not been the greatest, my offer to them still stands.

Who knows, if you are truly interested and your ethic shows it, someone may take notice and take you under their wing to help you build an engine, or even better - gift a project or locomotive to you. It's been known to happen, but don't stake your hobby on that.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

I pretty much echo what's been said so far, especially the parts about staying away from "Bigness" (engines and machines) at least in the beginning. I started off in a 2ft x 3ft utility closet with a hand drill and hacksaw and got most of a bar frame built.

But the most important thing to me, which no one seems to mention, is to read. Read, read, read, read, read. Anything and everything you can get your hands on (and there is PLENTY) about steam history, technology, metalworking, metallurgy, machining, engineering model building, and the list goes on. It's not as overwhelming as it sounds though because you have lots of time to do this and it's not a chore if you love it. I'm over 70 and there's hardly a day goes by when l don't learn something.by reading, and sometimes that includes learning what NOT to do!
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

gwrdriver wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:57 pm But the most important thing to me, which no one seems to mention, is to read.
To your question where to get started, a book I enjoyed was Joseph Nelson's "So You Want to Build a Steam Locomotive". It is a collection of articles that ran in Live Steam back in the late 60's or so. It offers a general overview of information on building a locomotive that can be applied to many builds. Not a step by step plan but information and techniques that can be applied to many builds.

Many people suggest Kozo Hiraoka's books. His a specific build with techniques that could be extracted to something else.
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

No one mentioned the Clishay that was intended for builders whom may only have a drill press.

This is presuming you wanted steam. There are other options like a box cab electrric.
1969 MF 40 Industrial
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

The original post mentioned a Railroad Supply 4-4-0. But having put many miles on a Clishay I can says it also would be a good choice for a first build.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Don’t assume that you MUST build a 1-1/2” scale locomotive. If you live within a reasonable distance from a club like the St. Croix club, a good choice for a first project would be 3 - 1/2” gauge. The Tom Thumb recently published in Live Steam magazine could be built on small machinery. The Raritan that is sold by Joe Tanski is another excellent loco for a beginner. It has a simple slip eccentric valve gear and it is a good looking locomotive.
The Tom Thumb and Raritan can be built for a fraction of the cost of an inch and a half scale locomotive……but they are every bit as much fun to run!
Keith
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

pat1027 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:37 pm
gwrdriver wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:57 pm But the most important thing to me, which no one seems to mention, is to read.
To your question where to get started, a book I enjoyed was Joseph Nelson's "So You Want to Build a Steam Locomotive". It is a collection of articles that ran in Live Steam back in the late 60's or so. It offers a general overview of information on building a locomotive that can be applied to many builds. Not a step by step plan but information and techniques that can be applied to many builds.
except for the section about stainless steel boilers :D
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

LVRR2095 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:15 am Don’t assume that you MUST build a 1-1/2” scale locomotive. If you live within a reasonable distance from a club like the St. Croix club, a good choice for a first project would be 3 - 1/2” gauge. The Tom Thumb recently published in Live Steam magazine could be built on small machinery. The Raritan that is sold by Joe Tanski is another excellent loco for a beginner. It has a simple slip eccentric valve gear and it is a good looking locomotive.
The Tom Thumb and Raritan can be built for a fraction of the cost of an inch and a half scale locomotive……but they are every bit as much fun to run!
Keith
Yes, I completely forgot about the Raritan - Sorry Mr. Tanski!
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Railroad Supply 0-4-0 is an easy one as well.

Jim B
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

I am from Wisconsin, It took me about 10 years to settle on 3 1/2" gauge, I do not regret it now. I am only 40 miles from Wisconsin Dells and volunteer at the R&GN from time to time and the 15" gauge stuff is fun. But I have more fun with my 3 1/2" trains. I have been at the St. Croix track 1 time and I had a blast with my little 3 1/2" gauge electric locomotive. I built a 300 foot loop around my house and have been slowing building up my machine shop. I have all of Kozo's books, they are great and the next locomotive I build from scratch will be a Kozo, either the Heisler or A3, or both. So don't overlook the 3/4" scale stuff. I do not like to travel much so having a track at home is great, it just takes patience and time, it has taken me almost 20 years to get where I am at with this hobby. My current operating steam locomotive I purchased operational, I have others in all states of disrepair that I have purchased that will slowing come on line as time permits. You are more than welcome to check my stuff out sometime if you like.
Attachments
20191020_180642_1571662276025_resized.jpg
KMCZ0967 (5).jpg
LPCT4638 (5).jpg
QLPS3231 (4).jpg
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

I’d suggest rather than his own project, the OP should volunteer at his local club- do track maintenance, basic club loco maintenance, etc. Perhaps this is St Croix. If he’s serious, perhaps someone will mentor him. IMO, this is more important than tools when starting. Second, the OP should sign up for evening machining courses at his local community college. Third, consider learning CAD.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Mountaineer wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:55 am I’d suggest rather than his own project, the OP should volunteer at his local club- do track maintenance, basic club loco maintenance, etc. Perhaps this is St Croix. If he’s serious, perhaps someone will mentor him. IMO, this is more important than tools when starting. Second, the OP should sign up for evening machining courses at his local community college. Third, consider learning CAD.
I guess the days are gone of high schools having a metal shop course?