2022 Standard Injector Update

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

AnthonyDuarte

2022 Standard Injector Update

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

At this time, everything for the standard injectors is DONE for both versions, EXCEPT the bodies.

For this batch I made the decision to go back to castings for the bodies given recent success with my foundry. Looking to the future, the EE injectors will be much easier to keep in stock if I can have the bodies cast successfully. Machining them from bar stock is so time consuming and expensive and is by far the biggest bottleneck to how many I can make and how often I can make them.

I was under the impression from talking to foundries in the past that solid castings would be more consistent than cored castings. I’ve heard “are you sure you can’t cast these solid?”more than once. So I went with solid castings for the standard injectors. The machined bodies started out solid anyway, so it made no difference to my programs, but oh man did that turn out to be a mistake.

All 140 castings for the standard injectors are unusable due to horrible internal porosity. All new tooling has been made so the waxes are fully cored out and 6 test pieces have been mailed to the foundry. I feel very confident that these will cast successfully, and will keep you all updated on the results. I expect to see them any day now.

The silver lining here is the cored waxes are much easier to shoot and look much tighter on the surface finish. Also, to my surprise the preorders for the SuperScale compatible version outnumber the EE version 2:1, so I can correct for that when I shoot more waxes to make sure I have extra for both.

I’m very humbled by the number of preorders I’ve received this batch, and I’m doing everything within my control to get them finished as soon as possible.

Here’s to a better 2022!
- Anthony
Eccentric Engineer

5A623201-EBCE-4D66-9449-92E742D5E468.jpeg
BD8DBC3D-D544-455C-AE3D-0FE63C8DB7AB.jpeg
F4F78AA8-F659-4F8F-A2F4-9471E3F4FC94.jpeg
FKreider

Re: 2022 Standard Injector Update

Post by FKreider »

In my opinion the internal porosity shouldnt be a problem with casting them solid. Has this happened with multiple foundries or just one?

It sounds like you are happier with the cored waxes anyways so it might not matter at this point but like I said I do not believe you should be seeing this issue.
-Frank K.
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

I've worked with 4 foundries now, and this is the only time I've ever had anything cast solid so I have no context for if this is to be expected or not.
It may be that these are too large to cast solid for this specific foundry's process (they're a jewelry foundry that does vacuum investment casting). With gravity or centrifugal casting maybe they would have turned out fine.

Regardless we'll get it figured out.
djjh87

Post by djjh87 »

Thanks for the update. Hope all go's well from this point for you. Jim
No problems just solutions.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Thanks for the Update Stay safe out there

Charlie Pipes
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Fender

Post by Fender »

I’m thinking that porosity problems are more likely to be due to improper (or lack of) degassing prior to the pour. Alternatively, a jewelry foundry may not be using sufficiently large feeders to the molds. A cored casting ought to have fewer problems due to shrinkage when cooling than a solid casting.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I'm curious, is it cheaper to cast the cored version because it uses less material?
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

AnthonyDuarte wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:31 pm At this time, everything for the standard injectors is DONE for both versions, EXCEPT the bodies.

For this batch I made the decision to go back to castings for the bodies given recent success with my foundry. Looking to the future, the EE injectors will be much easier to keep in stock if I can have the bodies cast successfully. Machining them from bar stock is so time consuming and expensive and is by far the biggest bottleneck to how many I can make and how often I can make them.

I was under the impression from talking to foundries in the past that solid castings would be more consistent than cored castings. I’ve heard “are you sure you can’t cast these solid?”more than once. So I went with solid castings for the standard injectors. The machined bodies started out solid anyway, so it made no difference to my programs, but oh man did that turn out to be a mistake.

All 140 castings for the standard injectors are unusable due to horrible internal porosity. All new tooling has been made so the waxes are fully cored out and 6 test pieces have been mailed to the foundry. I feel very confident that these will cast successfully, and will keep you all updated on the results. I expect to see them any day now.

The silver lining here is the cored waxes are much easier to shoot and look much tighter on the surface finish. Also, to my surprise the preorders for the SuperScale compatible version outnumber the EE version 2:1, so I can correct for that when I shoot more waxes to make sure I have extra for both.

I’m very humbled by the number of preorders I’ve received this batch, and I’m doing everything within my control to get them finished as soon as possible.

Here’s to a better 2022!
- Anthony
Eccentric Engineer

5A623201-EBCE-4D66-9449-92E742D5E468.jpeg

BD8DBC3D-D544-455C-AE3D-0FE63C8DB7AB.jpeg

F4F78AA8-F659-4F8F-A2F4-9471E3F4FC94.jpeg
Those parts bins are beautiful! Reminds me that I should probably order a set of spare cones for my injectors, and maybe a whole spare for just in case. Only thing would be 2 of mine are the earlier standards with the delivery screwed into the body rather than the bottom cap, would rather have everything the same so I only need one style of spare cones.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

How frustrating for you, sorry you are having to deal with the problems, but we are all very appreciative of your hard work and amazing products you've released. Can't wait to see what all you release in 2022.
Going to be offering starting valves again to go with more injectors?
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Anthony - Thanks for the update.
sabin

Post by sabin »

Hi Anthony. Any update on the Small Scales Injector?
Jim
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Thanks for the update, Anthony!

The waxes look great! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.