Ditron DRO question?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mcostello

Ditron DRO question?

Post by mcostello »

I have a Ditron and cannot figure out the solution to My problem using the supplied manual. it is a simple question.
If I have .100" to mill off of a part how do I change the screen to let know when it counts down to "0". Saves refiguring when I have to stop for something else.
Thanks for any help, Mark.
Bill Shields

Re: Ditron DRO question?

Post by Bill Shields »

Set to incremental and zero the axis?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Yeah, not familiar with a Ditron DRO (and there seem to be a bunch of different versions), but it looks basically the same as any other DRO. If you are not working off an initial zero point off the part and calculating offsets to move to, then basically what Bill says.

Switch to incremental mode, go up to the workpiece and zero your infeed axis (say the "X" axis) and make a cut. Measure the remaining amount you need to remove (say 0.105"), move back to the X zero position you just set and press "X", ".105", then "Enter" and the display will show 0.1050 remaining on the X axis. Continue making your cuts, infeeding until you reach 0.000 on the display.

With more advanced DROs you may be able to program simple shaped dimensions around a zero coordinate, enter tool offsets, set the zero point, and have it show remaining difference between your current position (plus tool size) and closest edge (similar to the bolt hole drilling function). But that is a pretty specialized function.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Thank You, Mark.