Amazing machine work

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

partime

Re: Amazing machine work

Post by partime »

Plunge grinding the cotter pins makes sense when you mention it Harold. Grinding equipment is something I wish I still had access to.

No detail left unaddressed in that engine.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It's becoming an engine again. Final assembly is always the best part after spending an eternity on the individual components.
DSC04385.JPG
DSC04462.JPG
DSC04470.JPG
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

DSC04486.JPG
DSC04487.JPG
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Nice work!
I'm always a bit nervous reassembling an engine. And I've never working on anything with nearly that many parts.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

What do you think it would cost to make this little drive assembly these days?
DSC04490.JPG
Glenn

Steggy

Post by Steggy »

GlennW wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:37 pm What do you think it would cost to make this little drive assembly these days?

DSC04490.JPG
In mass production, it probably would cost less per piece in equivalent dollars today than the original.

The British were notorious for using 10 parts to do the work of five, and even that assembly appears to reflect that design “philosophy.” I recall that Packard engineers applied the principles of “value engineering” to the Merlin, which had the effect of reducing the total piece count by a not-insignificant amount. Ergo the engine was cheaper to produce, build time was reduced, and anecdotal evidence suggested Packard’s rendition of the engine was more reliable than the Rolls Royce version—an example of the Boss Kettering principle.

As for making that particular part, it isn’t entirely clear from the photo, but it seems it should be possible to machine the part from a single forging. That would be a job tailor-made for a CNC machining center.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Made up of about a dozen parts not counting nuts and bolts. Internal and external splines, and adjustable in length via shims to set the bevel gear clearance relative to the other shafts it drives, which are also adjustable using shims.

Nothing in the drive system "simplified" by Packard, as it all requires hand fitting using a multitude of shims!

The difference I have seen in Rolls vs Packard is just slightly different special tools needed.
Glenn

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:54 pm
GlennW wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:37 pm What do you think it would cost to make this little drive assembly these days?

DSC04490.JPG
In mass production, it probably would cost less per piece in equivalent dollars today than the original.

The British were notorious for using 10 parts to do the work of five, and even that assembly appears to reflect that design “philosophy.” I recall that Packard engineers applied the principles of “value engineering” to the Merlin, which had the effect of reducing the total piece count by a not-insignificant amount. Ergo the engine was cheaper to produce, build time was reduced, and anecdotal evidence suggested Packard’s rendition of the engine was more reliable than the Rolls Royce version—an example of the Boss Kettering principle.

As for making that particular part, it isn’t entirely clear from the photo, but it seems it should be possible to machine the part from a single forging. That would be a job tailor-made for a CNC machining center.
some of the features seen on that part cannot be machined from a single piece -> no matter how you control the rotating cutter...you GOTTA have an assembly.

unless i am totally missing some things....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:39 pmunless i am totally missing some things....
You're not!
Glenn

Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:39 pm
BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:54 pm

DSC04490.JPG

some of the features seen on that part cannot be machined from a single piece -> no matter how you control the rotating cutter...you GOTTA have an assembly.

unless i am totally missing some things....

For me, at least, it’s hard to tell how it’s assembled with only one view.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I just look at the intersection of features that you cannot create with a rotating tool and assume that is where at least two components join...since they did not have sinker EDM machines in those days :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
partime

Post by partime »

What a wonderful piece of equipment.
I would like 2, one assembled and one dismantled!

How difficult is it to find parts if needed Glenn?