Jacin, hung flung dung

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Scott

Jacin, hung flung dung

Post by Scott »

Jacin,
I know you are going to hate this unit, but it is the best I could do. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Shoot it was not that much more then scrap steel prices are now. Grizzly even shipped it for free since they screwed my order up at the tent sale.
I tried a piece of 18 gauge stainless to see if it will work at all. work. I think I am going to be pretty happy for $575.00 I paided for it. It is a 50 inch model rated at 16 gauge.

I figured you would not be too mad as long as you know that I (and Moe) [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] just blew over 10,000 on a hobby type cnc usa built plasma table. I think that is about the right ratio as far as USA to China trade. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Scott

Re: Jacin, hung flung dung

Post by Scott »

one more picture.
Scott

Re: Jacin, hung flung dung

Post by Scott »

Jacin, in some ways I am more thrilled with this, then the plamsa machine. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Cookware anyone? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] There is something very basic in bending metal? Even in a car wreck. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Jacin

Scott - That's Sum flung dung!!!!

Post by Jacin »

Hey Scott - so long as you will maintain your current buying RATIO I won't say a word! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Bending metal - good!!!!!!

Those rolls will compliment any metal shops arsenal. I keep hoping to stumble on a cheap set, but in reality I can do most of that with my ewheel - so I can only justify a DEAL. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img]

SO what project do you have lined up that prompted the purchase?? ANything interesting?????
Scott

Re: Scott - That's Sum flung dung!!!!

Post by Scott »

SO what project do you have lined up that prompted the purchase?? Anything interesting?????

Lets see it's a cool tool, and I thought everybody should have at least one. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

As far as new tools I thought maybe a used spot welder would go with a slip roll pretty well.

I am still sorting the market.t I really have a pretty good line on doing some basic cutting for those little rice grinder obnoxious little cars that kids fix up. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Also art type things.At least I tell myself it is art.Maybe I will make Cambell's soup cans? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Scott

Post by Scott »

That's Sum flung dung!!!!

Sorry Jacin, my Chi-English needs a little work. I guess I should read the roller manual some more? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Lets see it's a cool tool, and I thought everybody should have at least one.

That's all the excuse I've ever needed [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Not sweat on your chinglish - I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page <grin>

Very cool tool for the arsenal for sure!!!!!!
Scott

Post by Scott »

Jacin,
I was dinking around with the slip roll to see if it would bend square tube.It will bend 5/8 .055 aluminum pretty well.This is about the tightest arc before it wants to blow. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

That's pretty good!! Did you anneal that or just start rolling???

What alloy was it??

Makes a fella stop and think doesn't it??? I keep wanting to make a double bottom anvil support for my English wheel - to do stuff just like that. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Scott

Post by Scott »

I have really no idea of the alloy but it came from my window installing friend. If I had to guess I bet its 6061.It went straight into the roller with no heat. I was surprised that I could get that much of a arc without much distortion of the tube. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

PS- that dollar in the picture is what I have to eat on for the next few years. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Scott

Post by Scott »

Jacin,
what would you think about using a lathe to cut some square grooves into the two rollers? Seems like you could get a little bigger piece of tubing into the roller.

Shoot, I need a lathe to work on my tools.(among other things) [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Jacin

Post by Jacin »

Hey Scott, I think that sounds like a good idea - so long as you don't get crazy with it. I assume you're talking down at one end where the impact (deflection wise) would be the least. You know....I always assumed that those rollers were SOLID - but now you got me wondering........

I just saw a used Pexto Slip Roller today - It was 7 or 8 hundered if my memory serves me - Yikes - a tad more than the hundred I was willing to give [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Yes Scott - you NEED a lathe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What are you waiting for?? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img]

After outfitting my "shop" with a mill and lathe - I now wonder how I ever got along with out them!!! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]