Upside down images

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

neanderman

Re: Upside down images

Post by neanderman »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:28 am
That doesn't mean a smart phone is a good camera. It merely means the "market" (consumers who post drivel on Fakebook and Krapchat) is satisfied with mediocrity when it comes to photography.
No disagreement! My B.A. is in photography!

Ignorance is bliss!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
oscar g

Post by oscar g »

I too am posting from a Windows 10. The pictures showing the angles for mounting the boiler, are showing in a horizontal position. They were taken
with a Nikon Coolpix camera, with the photos taken with the camera in the vertical position. Pictures in the folder show vertical, post shows
horizontal.
oscar g.
CStevens101

Post by CStevens101 »

neanderman wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:16 pm
BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:02 pmJust as toilets are lousy drinking fountains, phones are lousy cameras. :D
Sadly, the market disagrees! The Smartphone camera is killing the camera makers.
That doesn't mean a smart phone is a good camera. It merely means the "market" (consumers who post drivel on Fakebook and Krapchat) is satisfied with mediocrity when it comes to photography. My Fuji camera (which has, among other features, optical zoom, not digital) takes far better pictures than any smart phone—and the pics always come out right side up. :D
Actually, thats exactly what it means cause nowadays, you'd have to buy a 2 thousand dollar camera to equal the quality of a picture taken on a 200 dollar phone. Not that I'm a fan of cell phones or anything cause I love old 35 and 38 mm film cameras just cause there's no pixelation no matter how far you zoom in on the picture. But, most higher-end cell phones, have multiple cameras built-in some up to 5 different lenses taking the same picture to ensure the quality, so the picture comes out as crisp if not crisper than anything calling itself a camera that you can buy for under a thousand dollars. Not to mention that now they literally make add on zoom lenses for cell phones and holders to keep them steady, and software built-in for any editing that you may need to do on the spot. So in essence, the right cell phone with another 150 dollars worth of add on stuff and a few free apps, not only does the cell phone equal the camera, it stands head and shoulders above any picture taking device thats not studio quality from the start. And that's before you get started on the suitcase it takes to carry all the gear for said camera that you'll have to carry to try and compete with a 200 dollar cell phone that goes in my back pocket lol. Telling you guy, im almost 50 so theres no kid here plugging for cell phones over cameras to be sure, but my point is that if this old dog can learn a new trick, so can you 😏. Now, to the actual point of why I'm here for the very first time. I bought either an 8 or 9 inch sheldon a few days ago and figured I'd drop that info off in here and your comment looked as good as any to do the dropping at. Its like -20 outside here right now and I don't feel like opening up the box trailer to measure the swing over, but I know its either an 8 or 9 inch. Hoping for an 8, but a 9 would be fun to. And In really good condition for something that was made in the 30s to lol. Anywho, ill get out and measure it and get some numbers off of it and take a few pictures of it and put on here in a bit when the sun is shining a little brighter. Oh and btw, happy Christmas and hope yens have a merry new year 😊..
rmac

Post by rmac »

Welcome to the forum.

It's not super critical, but when you get thawed out enough to take some pictures of your new toy, the best place to post them would be in this thread.

And Merry Christmas!

-- Russell Mac
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

CStevens101 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:58 am
neanderman wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:16 pmSadly, the market disagrees! The Smartphone camera is killing the camera makers.
That doesn't mean a smart phone is a good camera. It merely means the "market" (consumers who post drivel on Fakebook and Krapchat) is satisfied with mediocrity when it comes to photography. My Fuji camera (which has, among other features, optical zoom, not digital) takes far better pictures than any smart phone—and the pics always come out right side up. :D

Telling you guy, im almost 50 so theres no kid here plugging for cell phones...

Almost 50, eh? :shock: I’m almost 80, so from my perspective, someone in their late forties would be a kid, one who is indeed plugging for stupid-phones. :D

As for your argument about how a phone can take a better picture than a real camera, we’ll have to disagree on that. My $250 camera can shoot at a higher resolution than any phone currently on the market. Its telephoto capabilities are such that I can take a photo of a plane cruising in the stratosphere with sufficient resolution to be able to tell you whose engines it has.

Particularly useful in my homebrew computer hobby, the camera is able to take an in-focus closeup photo with the lens about one inch away from the subject. No stupid-phone that I know of has that capability. See below for an example. For some perspective, the chip in the photo is approximately 0.8" in length and the leads are spaced at 0.05" intervals.

CLoseup Shot with Two Inch Focal Length
CLoseup Shot with Two Inch Focal Length

Oh, almost forgot! Pictures always come out right-side-up and don’t look like they were shot through a keyhole.

Now, to the actual point of why I'm here for the very first time. I bought either an 8 or 9 inch sheldon a few days ago and figured I'd drop that info off in here and your comment looked as good as any to do the dropping at.

As Russ noted, there is an entire subforum devoted to lathes. Perhaps you could re-post about your lathe there, along with some photos.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
CStevens101

Post by CStevens101 »

50 or 80 is the same difference once you've lived a little and seen some things, that 30 years is a moot point. Cause to be completely honest with you, most likely, given experiences and other things, my 50 years has probably seen more than your 80 years. Maybe not, can't tell cause I don't know you, but I know 2 things above all, and better than most, and thats human beings, and the everlasting search for knowledge, and most humans ages divided by their life experiences equal around a 10 yr old. Js, you could be one of those 10 yr olds, but like I said, I don't know you well enough to call it yet. Probably won't either for real cause aint nobody got time to try and educate the deaf on why the blind shouldn't lead an adventure. I know 75 and 80 yr olds thats never been out of Sullivan County TN, so really, how much could someone even if they was a hundred yrs old know anything about anything when or if they've never done anything or been anywhere or seen anything. Learning things is like looking through a window really, and if the windo you peer through is narrow, then the view you have will be narrow to, and there's nothing more detrimental to learning new things than being stuck looking through a narrow window when you could move one step to the right and look through a giant bay window and learn and see so much more than you do right now. Js, its certainly possible, even for a boomer to change the view. Lol