Nathan double top check boiler feed valve

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

phil davis

Nathan double top check boiler feed valve

Post by phil davis »

I'm after any photos of the Nathan double check valve as attached, I need to 3d model it however the drawing is difficult to get all the casting shapes. A photo or two of it on any locomotive would be much appreciated. Searching the web has been fruitless.
Attachments
IMG_4191.jpg
IMG_4191_rotated.jpg
Last edited by rmac on Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo Orientation
Greg_Lewis

Re: Nathan double top check boiler feed valve

Post by Greg_Lewis »

You might check with the library at the California State Railroad Museum. They have a lot of stuff. If you contact them they might do a search for you — don't just check the website. https://www.californiarailroad.museum/visit/library
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have something on a 2.5" gauge loco that performs the function, but it built from bar stock.

Any help?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

You might need and Optivisor (I know I would) -
Cal Scale has an HO scale detail casting #190-251 Check Valves Nathan Double Top Feed (there's photos of them on eBay) that might help you out.
Precision Scale has one as well in HO #2702 https://www.precisionscaleco.com/wp-con ... ne-WOP.pdf

The Grand Trunk 6300 series locomotives have top mounted check valves - are they are Nathans, I have no idea, but they look similar.

Brook
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

Didn't Brian Keim make a few of these in 1.5 scale?
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

IMG_0700.jpg
I think Anthony Duarte asked if there was any interest in these. It didn't appear that there was much. They were popular on European Locos, especially Beyer-Peacock Garratts where the Sellers version was used.

Some time back, I made one using one bronze casting.
jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith »

I would like to see someone produce one of the double injector check feed valves in 1.5". It would save a lot of work scratch building one.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I note with curiosity that the side for the feedwater heater is different than the side for the injector.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

I'd reach out to Keim Steam pump. I'm 95% sure Brian built a few. I remember seeing a pic of one of the Erie 4-6-2s he built and it had this style check.
this was a fairly common design feature on many locomotives.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Phil,
For my class A 1239 I built one in scale 1 : 10 from bronze. Parts were siver soldered. Spindles and valves are made from stainless steel. It's built by means of the drawings you posted (source: Locomotive Cyclopedia 1947) and those from the N&W historical society.
Fully functional it's working fine on my locomotive both with injector and feedwater pump.
The different valves between piston hot water pump (left side) and injector (right side) are due to the more critical one without spring pre-load for use by the injector.
You' ll find more details in my thread 'My class A 1239 with ...' on this forum. Perhaps this may help? More photos and scetches are available.

Best regards Asteamhead
Attachments
Nathan double check valve made from bronze
Nathan double check valve made from bronze
Nathan, parts, O-rings on valves and covers inserted
Nathan, parts, O-rings on valves and covers inserted
Nathan ready for use with my A
Nathan ready for use with my A
Nathan on top of the A's boiler
Nathan on top of the A's boiler
Fender

Post by Fender »

I think the idea with the top-feed check valves was to feed the water into a perforated trough above the water line, so the incoming water would be heated by steam, rather than mixing cold water into the hot water in the boiler. This tended to drive out the dissolved oxygen from the incoming water, and reduce thermal shock to the boiler.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Steamtown has a large collection of Nathan drawings. The one you posted is probably from the assembly drawing that they would have. The "official" drawing would be identified by the Nathan number and have a parts breakdown with the individual part numbers, which they should also have. In a data base I got from them a few years ago there are several "double boiler check" valves listed, with some specifying that they are for the top of the boiler. The key is finding the Nathan part number for what you are looking for. here is one I picked at random -

4502 - Type FWP double boiler check valve location on top of boiler for use : with injector and feed water pump 1943 January 7 linen ; architectural drawing ; half size

I've got a number of drawings that came from from Steamtown that we have used of the ARR 557 restoration. They have always been very responsive to requests.