There are railroads and then there is this....

Full Sized Railroadng is Riding Scale. This forum is to discuss protype railroading that may be interesting to chaski members and even inspire our model work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

There are railroads and then there is this....

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I like trains but this is something else. Watch the first two minutes or so and then you can skip on to about 9:30± for the Holy Crap part. Watch all the way to the end.

https://youtu.be/c6uIIAupFsI
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Re: There are railroads and then there is this....

Post by NP317 »

GASP!!!
RussN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:17 pm I like trains but this is something else. Watch the first two minutes or so and then you can skip on to about 9:30± for the Holy Crap part. Watch all the way to the end.

https://youtu.be/c6uIIAupFsI
I have to wonder how many men lost their lives building that railroad. Also, some of those track sections are literally hanging out in thin air. I wouldn’t want to be on one of those cars if it derailed at that point. :shock:

That said, I’d love to go there just to take that ride and shoot video as we climbed “halfway to the stars.”
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

And I was thinking of maintenance.
After being the Maintenance Manager for the Seattle Monorail system as my last paying job,
I still have nightmares about keeping the complex (and old) electrical system and motors functioning,
not to mention the concrete beams and pier systems.
I was SO glad to retire...

And I would also like to ride that climbing railroad.
RussN
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

That looks like truly awesome place to go on an excursion. Some years ago, I rode the White Mountain cog rail and that was cool, but this! :shock:
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Odyknuck wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:54 am That looks like truly awesome place to go on an excursion. Some years ago, I rode the White Mountain cog rail and that was cool, but this! :shock:
Yeah. Some of those sections that are just hanging out in the air are where I would not want to be in a derailment.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
GregE

Post by GregE »

What a gorgeous ride!
I thought this was interesting looking for what the original steam locos looked like for the many years prior to electrification. They used a transverse mounted boiler to cope with the grade- different from the Mount Washington. There are a couple photos that give a hint of the gearing to the rack also.
https://www.martynbane.co.uk/2003Trips/ ... 2003-2.htm
Greg Easter