Baker Valve Gear

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Re: Baker Valve Gear

Post by gwrdriver »

cbrew wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:29 pmThe short answer is yes, . . .
Would this also be true of the short frame?
Attachments
Baker#2.jpg
Baker#2.jpg (40.55 KiB) Viewed 2604 times
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
aswright

Post by aswright »

Yes, but... you have to take a look at the physical positions of the components and determine how to connect rods from here to there and get around other rods while avoiding significant bending moments. You could make a J shaped rod (from the top) that would connect to your combination lever, but it would be easier to do with the long frame, as seen in my pictures of the Alder Gulch #12. The short frame is very much designed to be compact and thus some of the motion get in the way of trying to turn it around. Your inputs and outputs are still in the same places. Use the above image as a visual guide and imagine trying to connect the output to your valve rod... it gets very messy very quickly. The long frame is challenging in its own practice, but is more open and "user friendly" for turning around.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

As posted earlier in this thread you do NOT necessarily have to "turn around" the baker valve gear to use it with an outside admission D valve.

One can simply reverse the angle of the eccentric crank and swap the order of the linkage on the combination lever at the valve rod end. This seems far similar than "turning around" the whole baker assembly.

I'm not saying you cant reverse the baker arrangement (which I know nothing about), I'm just saying that's not the simplest way of doing it.
-Frank K.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Harry Sait running his 3/4” scale 4-4-2. Baker valve gear (not reversed) operating outside admission slide valves dummied to look like piston valves.
Notice the long frame Baker is not reversed.

Keith
Last edited by LVRR2095 on Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Opps! Here is the pictures…
Harry Sait
Harry Sait
52A9128C-78C1-42E8-BC94-BF829C2FA34F.jpeg (808.29 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I cannot say that I have ever seen a baker gear installed bassackwards...and have seen plenty running outside admission valves.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

I've seen several outside admission baker engines like that. The Nevada Northern 4-6-0, even the popular G scale bachmann 2-8-0 is setup like that. I think some of the early N&W power was as well.
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

What about the baker valve gear is superior to the wals. Setup?
Tom
My wheels don't slow me down
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

I don't necessarily think it's superior, but... it had no wearing sliding surfaces. Everything that could wear would be bushings, needle bearings vs with wals. eventually you'll have to replace the link block or links.

Plenty of modern super power steam was built with both, don't really think one is superior . I think some felt Wals had a more balanced motion, but not 100% sure on that. most of the big western super power was Wals, eastern superpower like NYC, N&W, C&O, NKP liked their baker.
Fender

Post by Fender »

The Southern Railway ordered some new locomotives with Baker valve gear, then later replaced them with Walschearts. Probably had more to do with the Mechanical Department's preferences than anything else.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

In the meantime Mike sent me a PDF of the 1” LE Baker valve gear and one of my live steam buddies bought a 1” Pacific with a Baker valve gear that I have been studying. On the LE valve gear everything is inside the frame, on my buddy’s engine the bell crank is inside the frame while the rest of the linkage is outside. Consequently the LE frame is wider than the one on my buddy’s engine, but since I have the LE plan, that’s the one I’m going to try to copy. My first attempt at making the frame pattern was close but no cigar. But I’m going to work the bugs out with the trial pattern and refine the final pattern for casting. Thanks to all for the help.
Attachments
First try on the frame pattern without core prints
First try on the frame pattern without core prints
2666B435-ECD8-428E-B7FA-BAA50E702DB0.jpeg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1333 times