Boiler expansion brackets

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Boiler expansion brackets

Post by Bill Shields »

Thanks for the rapid response Bill, I'll be attaching my cab to the frame though, just my personal preference.

understood...I have done many that way also.

On this loco, the cab and boiler and all piping / pumps just lift off.

the mount of the end of the boiler can be similar.... :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Old England

Post by Old England »

Bill, the arrangement in your first photo is similar to what I did in my ⅜" scale C&O T1. I think I may still have my drawings from 33 years ago, unless mice got to them! Will have a look tomorrow.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Rayonier (Polson) #90 2-8-2 also uses vertical thin plates to support the boiler on the frame.
The picture below shows 3 of the 1/2" thick vertical plates which are thin enough to bend as the boiler expands rearwards.

The plans for my 1/8th scale model specified 1/8" thick plates for those verticals. I used 1/16th" thick sheet for all the supports except the two under the firebox, which are 3/16", if memory serves me correctly... They are scale thickness and thin enough to flex, and plenty stout.
The two plates supporting the firebox are anchored from the bottom of the frame, allowing the required flex.
RussN
Rayonier #90 2007 021.jpg
Rayonier #90 2007 021.jpg (100.99 KiB) Viewed 709 times
Last edited by NP317 on Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old England

Post by Old England »

This is how I did my C&O T1: The back of the firebox sits on the angle seen in the side elevation, two part threaded pins go through the 3/16" X 40 holes show in the rear elevation and locate in holes in the bottom of the backhead. I seem to remember I interposed springs between boiler and bracket though not really necessary. Fortunately the T1 had this cross member in just the right place, don't have that luxury with the 0-8-0.
Attachments
boiler_support.jpg
boiler_support.jpg (54.77 KiB) Viewed 657 times
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Joe Bailey’s Consol is bolted up right at the smokebox end, has two false vertical flex plates between the smokebox and firebox, two sliding brackets at the front corners of the firebox, and an angle bolted to the rear of the firebox.
The angle is bolted to a flex plate that is attached to the frame.
Old England

Post by Old England »

makinsmoke wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:55 am Joe Bailey’s Consol is bolted up right at the smokebox end, has two false vertical flex plates between the smokebox and firebox, two sliding brackets at the front corners of the firebox, and an angle bolted to the rear of the firebox.
The angle is bolted to a flex plate that is attached to the frame.
Thanks, that sounds like a good setup. Similarly I have two vertical plates that won't be attached to the boiler on the model. I remember wondering why they looked so thin on the Cyclopedia drawing I have!