Repair Grizzley Mill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

rbertalotto

Repair Grizzley Mill

Post by rbertalotto »

I have an older Grizzley Mill #G9959 which has been replaced by the G0729. I've had it for well over 20 years with zero issues. It's a small mill and easy to move around a home shop if needed. Taking light cuts it will do anything you ask of it, but much slower than a bigger Bridgeport type mill.
A couple days ago I did some thing stupid and tried to use an Annular cutter on the edge of a piece of steel to make a "half moon" cutout. Once the cutter hit the steel, with out the locasting drill being in the piece all hell broke loose!
The cutter sheered off most of its teath and snapped the locator drill bit.....
But more damaging it turned the R8 chuck in the quill. Breaking off the locator pin in the quill and jamming the R8 holder in the quill. Took a bit of hammering on the draw bar to release it.
So the quill had to come out and a new pin installed.
Removing the quill was very easy. There is a retainer at the bottom of the quill that is threaded into the quill. Remove this and then I used a gear puller to push the quill out through the bottom of the quill.
Once out, I had to use a drill to remove the threaded sheered off locator pin. The drill bit locked into it and it simply spun out. Easy Peasy!
A new pin (set screw) was installed.
Now since everything was apart, the bearings were cleaned of all old grease in the parts washer and new grease was forced into the bearings.
I found a piece of pipe in the scrap pile and turned an aluminum ring so I could use my hydraulic press to reinstall the bearings on the quill shaft.
All went together extremely well.
To reinstall the shaft in the quill, I used a hydraulic bottle jack on the mill's table to push it back into place.
Buttoned everything up and turned it on......I could not believe the difference in sound. Over 20 years of use, bearings grease gets hard and things get a bit noisy......The mill is so quiet now and is just running much smoother.....
So while I was into it, I gave all the slides adjustments and aligned the head to table. Surprisingly, the head to table adjustments were still spot on!
A fun Sunday morning project with great results!

Pictures Here:
https://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/ma ... illing-ma/
NP317

Re: Repair Grizzley Mill

Post by NP317 »

Another job well done!
RussN