Brazed Carbide tool

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Brazed Carbide tool

Post by earlgo »

I finally found a use for a brazed carbide lathe tool. It makes a good fly cutter for hard steel. I used this one on some 4140 PH stock at Rc 30 and then managed to use it a bit on some Rc50 material. Not very deep cuts but enough to face off what was needed.
Carbide fly cutter.jpg
Carbide fly cutter.jpg (47.6 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Re: Brazed Carbide tool

Post by Harold_V »

I use them that way, too, earlgo. Same results approach and results. Shallow cuts but a nice finish, one that would, otherwise, be difficult to achieve. I'm a big fan of fly cutters.

Beyond fly cutting, I commonly use brazed carbide for lathe work (I also use carbide inserts and HSS depends on what I'm doing and what works best for the task at hand). I have a (wet) diamond wheel, so keeping a keen edge on the brazed carbide tools isn't an issue.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.