Name of a screw and milling machine advice

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

David2011

Re: Name of a screw and milling machine advice

Post by David2011 »

rmac wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:27 pm
David2011 wrote: That's a good start. This mill was made in Taiwan in 1980 and so far every thread that I've checked on it is Imperial coarse thread.
I've got a mill/drill from 1983 that looks a lot like yours except it says "Enco" instead of "Jet" on it. The locking screws on it appear to be M8. On the other hand, the locking screws on my lathe (also from Asia) are 1/4-20.

Go figure.
I know what you mean with "looks a lot like. . ." My last mill was made by Hong Da Mills but it looked just like an Enco or Grizzly. Sometimes I wonder if the company whose name is on a machine makes anything at all; especially imported machinery.

Still haven't come up with a real name for the "flip tab locking screw." Probably will end up making them. First project on the new to me mill/drill will be slotting the heads of screws. I volunteer on the Battleship USS Texas restoration and have been making 1/2" Fillister screws for a cover plate on the mounts of the 5" guns. I've been slotting them on the lathe by holding the end mill in the chuck and putting the screws in a fixture that goes in the boring bar toolholder. Fillister head screws in brass just aren't readily available in that size these days. There are only 6 of the 5" guns and only 4 screws per gun bur it's still a lot of time on a small manual lathe to make them.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Many of the Taiwan (and PRC) export 'manufacturers' do nothing but assemble machines from pieces made all over the country -> cottage industry style - and stick a label on them for whoever they are selling to at the time.

If you have ever been to the non-tourist (industrial manufacturing) areas of this part of the world, you will understand what I am describing.

One guy makes tailstocks, another spindles..a third carriages....etc etc etc as Yul Brenner used to say.

Since I purchased my first Taiwan made machine back in the 1970s and needed a replacement part made from unobtanium, I have been a strong proponent of "if you want spare parts from this part of the machine supply world - purchase them with the machine -> since 6 months later they may not be available".
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
David2011

Post by David2011 »

I know you're right, Bill. It's not something to plan on but once in a while a machine has a very, very long run. I can still get new parts for my 14" Craftsman band saw from Rigid, Grizzly and Jet among others. That is the ubiquitous 14" woodworking band saw and has been in production for decades with little change. Same with this mill/drill. It's been around for at least 45 years. The micro feed has changed but there is much in common with the new versions. One of the YouTubers, maybe Quinn Dunki (Blodihacks) did an interesting segment on the Asian machines. The synopsis is that although the initial casting may be common across many brands, the internals are whatever the client specifies. The rock bottom priced lathe may have $15.00 straight roller bearings and the better ones will have $50.00 tapered roller bearings. Similarly, every part inside is whatever the customer wanted. Replacement parts concerns have led me to pass on several purchases. Lots of lathes with missing tailposts, carriage/cross slide components or "just one broken gear." I really wish I had spent the money to move my last machines even though the cost was at least what they were worth. I knew what I had and expected them to be around for a long time.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

i purchased a 'select' 10 x 36 lathe back in the late 1970s or early 1980s

I immediately noticed that the compound slide was 'soft' - could not do a decent cut-off with it.

tried to order a replacement slide (under warranty - which took a while since they wanted me to ship the old one back ->, and did not get anything that fit the cross slide exactly - this was less than 3 years from date of original purchase (took a long time to mail back and forth and ship / deliver from middle east -> california -> taiwan and back)....

finally gave up....about the time Select Machine Tools disappeared from the scene.

it's not a bad roughing lathe, but my South Bend 10" runs rings around it (except for the flat belt drive).. :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
David2011

Post by David2011 »

Looks like the name of the screw for which I’m searching is “leaf screw” but the only ones that I’ve found for sale are the Jet metric screws. Strange because before the “pull out to turn” clamping screws they were common on machinery. I guess the main source is DIY.