Tool holder cross reference source?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

VelocityDuck

Tool holder cross reference source?

Post by VelocityDuck »

Is there anything that will point me to what tool holder can be used for a specific insert?

For example, I have a bunch of (what I think are) SEC 422 inserts. Rather than try and sell them I was thinking that I may as well try to use them. But I have no idea what type of tool would use these.

Any suggestions how I would go about finding the correct tool for these inserts?
PXL_20230521_185615852.jpg
PXL_20230521_185615852.jpg (647.4 KiB) Viewed 907 times
Harold_V

Re: Tool holder cross reference source?

Post by Harold_V »

Hmmm. I'm woefully lacking in insert knowledge, due in part to my having left the machining world back in '83 when my attention turned to the refining of precious metals as a means of making a living. While I still have machines, they are used for hobby and I haven't attempted to stay current on insert tooling.

That said, one thing that comes to mind is that they are numbered in the 400's (according to your comments) which indicates to me that they are rather large inserts. If that's the case, unless you have rather substantially large machine tools, the required holders may well be larger than can be used on your equipment.

Now to hear from those who actually know something.

H

Edit: A quick search for the described insert indicates that the inscribed circle is only ½", so their size may not be too large for home shop machines.
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Those are milling inserts.

I have an R-8 shanked face mill that uses them or 322's, can't remember which, so I'll see if it has an identifying number on it.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
VelocityDuck

Post by VelocityDuck »

I'm rapidly coming to the realization that most of the inserts that I have found are going to be of no use to me and will be almost impossible to sell since it appears they are for really big cutting tools that the average hobby machinist types don't use. :(
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Someone with a horizontal mill may well have use for them.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

It's a constant source of aggravation for those of us on a limited budget, who buy second hand tools.
I see tool holders and cutter heads for sale sometimes, but which insert do they use?
Some are special to a given manufacturer, and are expensive or not available at all.
It's rare for sellers to list the insert type in their ad. It can take a lot of time to figure out from the tool number.

I like the cheap Chinese tool holders that take cheap inserts. Chinese inserts are $1-$2, western made ones are $10-$20.