Belts for Logan 820

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Davisa

Belts for Logan 820

Post by Davisa »

Took my Logan 820 out of its crate and started putting it together and there were no belts. No motor nor pulley (?) Belts. Does anyone know what size or type belts I should buy?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Harold_V

Re: Belts for Logan 820

Post by Harold_V »

The type (and width) of the belt would be determined by the pulley on the spindle, assuming the spindle is driven directly from the motor, and not from a countershaft. In any case, the belt must match in order for it to drive properly, what ever it may be (flat belt, V belt, cog belt, as examples). As for length, that would depend on the motor mount and driver pulley you'd choose to use. If the spindle has a stepped pulley, you'd want to match the motor pulley so the belt length would be correct for all speeds. If the motor base is typically supplied with the lathe and mounts directly to the lathe, the belt length would be predetermined by the mount, assuming your pulley choice is correct. You really need to provide more information unless someone is familiar with the Logan 820 and they are all powered identically. They may not be. Dunno.

Motor. It is a wise decision to provide the suggested power, not larger. If you oversize the motor and have a crash, you may do more damage than you might have with the proper power. A smaller motor can result in broken tools when you stall the spindle due to insufficient torque, or severely limit depths of cut and feeds when roughing.

Sorry, I'm really not much help.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

You should find what you need here. https://store.lathe.com/drive.html
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
Davisa

Post by Davisa »

Thank you all for your help.
Davis
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I an now using synthetic lace up flat belts in my 10" SB.

Quite happy with them.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.