Precision Level Problems

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Precision Level Problems

Post by Harold_V »

Good to hear! Bottom line is you appear to have solved the riddle and your level is now reading properly. That's quite a challenge when adjusting a level that resolves such little error.

It's almost maddening when leveling a machine tool with such a level. A nudge of a bolt can spell over-correction. One needs a light touch and patience to allow the bubble to seek proper level.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Re: Precision Level Problems

Post by seal killer »

Firelance and All--

Firelance, I have one of those levels. I tried for months to get it calibrated. First, I let it sit for hours after flipping. Eventually, I went to days, always returning to the same place and orientation. I did get it somewhat better, but not good enough to use, in my opinion.

After reading your experiences, I may return to the task, but probably not as it makes a great paperweight.

I finally turned a lathe alignment bar and satisfied myself that the lathe was ok.

--Bill
You are what you write.