Aquarium Air Pump for chip clearing?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

dorin

Aquarium Air Pump for chip clearing?

Post by dorin »

Does anybody use an aquarium air pump for chip clearing?
How noisy? The milling machine makes plenty of noise!

What capacity should one purchase?

Thank you!
-Mike
www.chaski.com
tornitore45

Re: Aquarium Air Pump for chip clearing?

Post by tornitore45 »

You mean blowing the chip away from the cut? Aquarium pumps have hardly the output to blow bubbles I doubt can do anything about the chips. Perhaps if you are cutting wood.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Aquarium pumps are pretty quiet, but for chip clearing it'll do a miserable job it'll barely move wood chips let alone metal.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

dorin wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:24 am Does anybody use an aquarium air pump for chip clearing?
How noisy? The milling machine makes plenty of noise!

What capacity should one purchase?

Thank you!
-Mike
None...enen a small car tire pump struggles unless you put an accumulator on the output.

A small chip or paint brush is more effective
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I routinely use air on my machines. That's common practice (or it used to be prior to CNC operations) in commercial shops, although I'm not one. I can not address CNC shop procedure as I have no experience.

As has already been suggested, an aquarium pump would most likely border on being useless for metal chips. The velocity (pressure) and volume is simply too small to be effective.

Take note that if you use an adequate supply to move metal chips, it's quite messy unless all you're trying to do is keep the area immediately around the cutter free of chips. Even then, if you can't relocate them far enough, they'll build a dam (of chips) that will defeat the purpose. I have protective tarps hung around my mill and lathe to keep chips off the walls and try to keep line pressure in the vicinity of 80 psi. It's easy to propel chips several feet if required. You could achieve results of some description using less pressure, and restrict distance chips are propelled by lowering the volume (or pressure) of air discharged. Volume can be controlled by orifice size while pressure is a function of the line regulator.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
dorin

Post by dorin »

Thank you, everybody!
I am glad I didn't spend that $100.00 on the pump!
www.chaski.com
jannickz

Post by jannickz »

While your milling machine likely makes significant noise, an aquarium air pump will add some additional sound. The noise level depends on the specific model and its airflow setting. However, compared to compressed air systems, they are generally considered much quieter.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

I don’t use air to clear chips while cutting.  It’s darn near impossible to get them to go where you want them to land.  I do use a hand-held blowgun to clear chips after stopping the machine.  Been doing that for as long as I’ve been making chips, which is about 65 years.

Yikes!  Is it that long???  :( :evil: :shock:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D