Looking at an Index 645

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

David2011

Re: Looking at an Index 645

Post by David2011 »

Mark sent me a price list that covered regrinding the spindle. If the bearings are good it's $690.00 to regrind it from B&S #9 to R8. A new drawbar, if someone can't make one, is almost $153.00. For that kind of money I can learn to live with the Brown & Sharpe taper. I'll buy a decent BS9-ER40 chuck, a set of collets, a fly cutter and a boring head and have some left over. I don't mind spending $1000-$1500 over the purchase price to get the machine into decent user condition again but the regrind with shipping and insurance both ways is going to approach $1000 is the bearings aren't bad.

For them to install new spindle bearings is $621.30 plus $80.00 labor
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

The b&s is annoying if you already have a drawer full of R8 collets and chucks.

I looked at what I was going to spend on new tool holders, and the regrind did not look so $ overall.

You can always do it later
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
David2011

Post by David2011 »

I only have a set of R8 collets by 1/16" increments, a single 3/8" Weldon holder and an inexpensive set of 1.25" to 2" indexable end mills. I'll probably cough up the bucks for a regrind after getting aggravated enough with the BS9 taper.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

:D
David2011

Post by David2011 »

I walked away from the mill. Even though the price was very low it was becoming more of a project than I expected. I had given the seller some money and he agreed to me taking the vise and he kept the money I had already given him. It was about what used Yuasa 6” vises are selling for on Marketplace and the auction site.

Another much better Index 645 became available. It was only recently removed from service and seems to be fully functional. The automatic power downfeed disconnect is missing but the power and manual downfeed both work. It looks like the spindle was reground to R8 because there’s no locating pin in the spindle bore. It had been under power at the seller’s location per a video but I didn’t see it run in person.

It’s already in my shop and leveled. It will probably be connected to a VFD for testing later today. I got the VFD from Automation Direct, a GS20 single phase to 3 phase model. I’ll hook up the table motor later.

How necessary is a thermal overload relay? Some seem to think it’s critical hardware. Other sources say skip the contactor and overload and just use a 2 or 3 pole switch. The 230V single phase is being split to also provide 115V inside the control box which I’m building from scratch. I have DIN breakers for both the 115V and 230V circuits inside the control box. The original contactor box was removed long ago and power went straight to the drum switches. My plan is to connect the drum switches to the VFD digital signal busses.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I always use the switch with the thermal overloads.

cannot say that I have ever had one 'overload'...but for the price of the box.....
David2011

Post by David2011 »

It's been a while since my last post. The machine is being used as needed although it still needs a lot of work. I haven't hooked up a VFD to the table motor yet. The Battleship Texas project has become almost a full time job as a volunteer. I need to re-plumb the one shot lube lines, clean up the power spindle feed to work more easily, replace pulley bearings, get the second VFD, figure out why there is .001-,0015 runout in the spindle and clean/paint the entire machine. The spindle will probably have to go to Wells-Index for regrinding. Their new machine spec is .0002" runout. It's good enough for the work I've been doing but I want the machine to operate to its potential. The machine is overall smooth and a pleasure to run.
Power panel with an Automation direct VFD
Power panel with an Automation direct VFD
IMG_6018.JPG (415.07 KiB) Viewed 225 times
David2011

Post by David2011 »

The power enclosure is switched with a 30A 3 pole Leviton switch and an enclosure designed expressly for that switch. It sends 240V into the main enclosure which is branched off to supply 120V to a 2 gang 4 outlet box on the lower right where the black/white/green wires exit. That switched power is for lighting and a future DRO. The 110v also powers the fan and pilot light.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

David2011 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:49 pm need to re-plumb the one shot lube lines,
I own a Bridgeport, purchased new in '77. It has the Bijur one shot lubrication system. The machine sat idle for a few years so the one shot system didn't get used. From this experience I learned that, if one is using Vactra (in my case it's Vactra 2), the metering ports will get fully plugged, ending any lubrication from reaching the slides and nuts. They look perfectly good, but there's a tiny felt filter in each which gets gelled over and can NOT be cleaned. Even removal and extensive soaking in a strong solvent won't help. Been there, done that, and have made the purchase of new meters to fix the problem.

Before you start replacing any of the lines, might be a good idea to remove the meters and blow air through each of the lines. If you get air transfer, the real problem is the meters, not the lines, none of which have given me any problems in all those years.

They're really proud of those tiny meters. A respectable price is around $18 each. My machine has "only" nine of them.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Make the 2nd VFD the same as the first.

There is something to be said for redundancy.

Every VFD in my house is the same. Admittedly some are a bit oversized, but one spare covers all bases.
David2011

Post by David2011 »

That's my plan for the VFD, Bill. Table power feed is very optional for most of my work. Spindle, not so much. I held off on getting both VFDs at the same time in case the first one was inadequate. I may never push a mill to its horsepower limit but wanted to be confident that the spindle motor had all the amps it needed and so far it does. I just wanted the option to buy a bigger spindle VFD and move the first one to the table feed if necessary. Automation Direct's recommendation of a .75 Kw VFD for the 1 hp motor has proven to be completely adequate.

Now, if I hadn't broken the only 1/4" ball nose end mill I have last night. The radial depth of cut was only .020" but the axial was .500" and I should have sped the spindle up some more. The project instantly went on hold awaiting some replacement ball nose end mills.

I absolutely have to replace at least some of the tubing on the one shot system. It flows well up to the point that a tube is broken in the top of the knee. I put some oil in the reservoir shortly after leveling the machine, gave it a few pumps and it's been puking oil from the slide area ever since. I understand the stickiness of Vactra as a benefit but wonder if there's any other oil that's a decent substitute.