How do I center this nut?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

paulmars

How do I center this nut?

Post by paulmars »

F25\F20 westwood oil furnace filter housing.

This should come from the factory with that nut very tight on the lower bolt. To replace the filter element you remove upper bolt, remove the can, chng fltr element, reassemble & replace upper bolt. Those are the instructions and there are many youtubes showing this.

It seems to me that if upper bolt was over tightened, then that might cause the nut to come off the lower bolt the next time upper bolt is removed to chng element. I think this is bad design. Still, I found no one else posting issues

I bought F25 new ebay. Upper bolt was so tight i could not remove it. I sent it back for replacement. I was sent refund.

Bought another lowes online. It came in pieces. Literally upper & lower bolts removed from nut. I returned it for replacement. Store refused. I contacted hq and got refund.

I wrote to rw beckett who owns westwood. They sent me one. Then another a week later. One of those the nut came off the bottom bolt when i removed upper bolt. The other one worked fine, but it leaked where can seats against upper red piece. So I had to tighten the upper bolt twice to stop leak(yes there is rubber gasket between). I hope nut stays on lower bolt when I chge element next year

I now have 2 extra units and I'd like to assemble as spares. Ive tried but i cant keep the nut exactly centered when tightening it onto lower bolt, which means that upper bolt won't thread in. Ideas?

Pics to large to attach are here:
ibb.co/3SPvynY
ibb.co/CPML3Lk
ibb.co/4V28WPK –
Paul
GlennW

Re: How do I center this nut?

Post by GlennW »

The links are not working.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Copy the links and paste them on another window. Then the pics show up.

But I can't offer help because I don't understand specifically the problem described.
"the nut centered" how? Between the bolts?
RussN
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Here's some pictures of what I think this is and a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx9g9P_z5So

WW filter housing.png
WW filter housing.png (284.72 KiB) Viewed 201 times
The filter housing
WW housing bottom.png
WW housing bottom.png (172.17 KiB) Viewed 201 times
The bottom showing the bolt into the inner nut.
Westwood filter nut.png
Westwood filter nut.png (369.34 KiB) Viewed 201 times
The nut inside the can that OP is talking about.

I would put the top bolt through the housing and attach to bottom nut loosely with some grease in it. Put the outer can in place over the bottom nut, put loctite (262 or 271) on the bottom bolt and screw it in, tighten and let sit 24 hours. Then loosen the top bolt. Always lubricate the top bolt when assembling.

You're right - it is a bad design; the nut should be keyed into the can to keep from rotating. But they are going for cheap - not good.

SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
Measure twice, cut once, wait - it was supposed to be brass! :)
paulmars

Post by paulmars »

NP317 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:47 pm "the nut centered" how? Between the bolts?
RussN
Yes
paulmars

Post by paulmars »

SteveR wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:56 pm Here's some pictures of what I think this is and a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx9g9P_z5So
SteveR
Yes. Notice he don't use wrench on lower when assemble. Only hold it when disassemble cuz u dont know how tight and only pushing on upper could bend copper fuel line. Many have copper lines going in and out.
paulmars

Post by paulmars »

SteveR wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:56 pm I would put the top bolt through the housing and attach to bottom nut loosely with some grease in it. Put the outer can in place over the bottom nut, put loctite (262 or 271) on the bottom bolt and screw it in, tighten and let sit 24 hours. Then loosen the top bolt. Always lubricate the top bolt when assembling.

You're right - it is a bad design; the nut should be keyed into the can to keep from rotating. But they are going for cheap - not good.

SteveR
How is that tightening nut(coupling) onto lower bolt? Both bolts can be tight into coupling and u can stil shake and hear that lock washer rattling. If not tight on bottom bolt, it leaks.

The only way to make it tight is to tighten it With cap (red) off. But then it's not centered. Unless i can put wrench extension thru hole in cap.
paulmars

Post by paulmars »

I tried separate posting but links stil no work.
paulmars

Post by paulmars »

If u copy paste links into browser it works. well it does for me.
paulmars

Post by paulmars »

paulmars

Post by paulmars »

Wow i just did. Hmmm
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Easier to just spend the $ and get a better filter unit....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.