Painting the lathe?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BikeMaker

Painting the lathe?

Post by BikeMaker »

Currently working on a Logan 200.As it is mostly stripped down I am considering painting it. Thoughts on what paint to use? I have a spray setup but don't really want to go that route.
wsippola

Re: Painting the lathe?

Post by wsippola »

I mixed grey and white tremclad to the desired shade, and sprayed a 10ee about 10 yrs ago, paint is holding up just fine and still looks good.

Wayne
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Gotta get it clean so any paint will stick.

I have a SB9 that the previous owner painted with brush Rust-Oleum red about 50 years ago and it is still looking good -> or as good as a red South Bend can look.🤪
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

My friend spayed a coat of gray Sherwin Williams "machine" paint on my Boxford 25 years ago
Holds up wonderfully

Just know that all "Gloss' paints are much harder than "Satin" or "flat"paints because of additives ( or lack there of )
Paint Chemist told me that ....
Rich
BikeMaker

Post by BikeMaker »

Thanks!
I also heard about adding a hardener to even Rustoleum.
David2011

Post by David2011 »

Rich_Carlstedt wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:24 pm My friend spayed a coat of gray Sherwin Williams "machine" paint on my Boxford 25 years ago
Holds up wonderfully

Just know that all "Gloss' paints are much harder than "Satin" or "flat"paints because of additives ( or lack there of )
Paint Chemist told me that ....
Rich
That’s right. We had a can of flattener in the paint cabinet where I worked on airplanes. It’s a thick clear liquid with lots of solids in it. Mix it with glossy paint and you get satin or flat depending on how much is added.
David2011

Post by David2011 »

BikeMaker wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:29 pm Thanks!
I also heard about adding a hardener to even Rustoleum.
Tractor Supply carries Majic Catalyst and Hardener that can be added to alkyd enamels. It makes the paint harder, glossier and speeds drying.