My first mill: induma 1s

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

keen

My first mill: induma 1s

Post by keen »

This followed me home yesterday. Used a pallet jack and a drop deck trailer (seller had a forklift, so that helped on that end - dropped it on 4x6 blocks on the trailer)

things I know so far:

I need a power feed on the knee, or at least a drill adapter. 5 slots on the knee handle...... and .001" per revolution.

the collet (r8) alignment pin is loose, so I have to remove the spindle bottom nut....dont have a pin spanner to fix that 85mm nut though.

the nod gear is super stiff - I could move it about 1 degree either way. the rotate and slide gears work fine. table runs smooth, gets a smidge tight at the ends. haven't run the knee up (I dont have the patience) more than ~1 inch or so.

quill lock is worn, doesnt quite lock in the well used area. at full extension it locks ok. gravity just drags the handle down always, adding a spring between the locks to give it a bit of pressure - will see if that helps keep it from wearing as bad from auto-locking. and trying to find a shim stack to align the handle in the sweet spot so it'll unlock and lock fully in it's range....

VFD arrives tomorrow - two of them, since the X power feed is 3 phase.

and I need to order oil.

and I need/want new handles on the X - these dont spin in the hand, they're solid. ouch, that burns.....

anyone know, for sure, what size pin wrench I need for the spindle nut? and what size the collet alignment pin is?
Attachments
IMG_2908_rotated.JPG
IMG_2908_rotated.JPG (312.06 KiB) Viewed 608 times
IMG_2907_rotated.JPG
IMG_2907_rotated.JPG (359.42 KiB) Viewed 608 times
IMG_2896_rotated.JPG
IMG_2896_rotated.JPG (330.11 KiB) Viewed 608 times
IMG_2862_rotated.JPG
IMG_2862_rotated.JPG (466.25 KiB) Viewed 608 times
IMG_2861_rotated.JPG
IMG_2861_rotated.JPG (591.13 KiB) Viewed 608 times
Last edited by rmac on Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo Orientation
Harold_V

Re: My first mill: induma 1s

Post by Harold_V »

keen wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:59 pm I need a power feed on the knee, or at least a drill adapter. 5 slots on the knee handle...... and .001" per revolution.
That certainly must be a typo. Do you mean .100" per revolution, which is normal for the knee on a drop spindle (Bridgeport type) mill?
I'm not suggesting that adding power feed to the knee of such a mill can't be useful, but I've owned a BP mill for more than 57 years and have never added a power feed to the knee. You really can live without one.
the nod gear is super stiff - I could move it about 1 degree either way.
Stupid question, I know, but it needs to be asked. Did you loosen the restraining bolts?
Fact: There's a tremendous load on the screw that allows the machine head to nod. That load will create considerable drag on the screw, so it won't turn easily. Reality: It is highly unusual that one will nod the head of a mill. It's a very desirable feature to have, but goes unused more than 99% of the time.
and I need/want new handles on the X - these dont spin in the hand, they're solid. ouch, that burns.....
Burns? How so? The handles on many machines are often fixed---they do not rotate. If they have even the slightest degree of polish, they turn freely and effortlessly in one's hand, which, when operating machinery, are generally not dry, but have a hint of oil on them, the result of handling machine tools. Again, not suggesting that floating handles might not be a good idea, but the provided handles work perfectly well. You'd be far better served spending money on things that will actually prove useful to you (I'm assuming you don't have bottomless pockets). If you have limited funds at your disposal there's a huge number of things that you can spend your money on that will provide a **real** benefit to you. A rotab is a good example, an accessory that is mandatory unless one owns a CNC. Owning machine tools is much like owning a boat----you will have an almost endless demand for tooling and supplies.

If you are not an experienced machinist, best you get the machine up and running and use it before you start making decisions on spending money that can be better used for other things.

Just sayin', of course.

H

Edit: I just took another look at the machine. It's entirely possible that the provided handles are intended to float. Might be a good idea to remove one and see if it needs to be cleaned. The machine has the appearance of having been badly neglected, something I concluded by the image of the quill. It should be bright and shiny.
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
keen

Post by keen »

> Stupid question, I know, but it needs to be asked. Did you loosen the restraining bolts?

I did. and no, not stupid at all. :)

as for the handles - the rest of them float, just the X hand wheels that don't - if I find a good solution for cheap, great. don't worry, I wont invest much in it. :)

and yeah, probably is .100 not .001 - I haven't measured it, but did see someone's comment in an old thread..... we'll see how long my shoulder can tolerate it. :)

came with a 4" kurt vice and a 6" unbranded rotary table - but appears to be missing the indexing parts.

gotta fix that collet alignment pin, and rewire it, first thing. popped the box on the side and all the insulation on the original wires is plain falling off. lucky the last guy didn't electrocute himself, since was still using it....
keen

Post by keen »

got the collet alignment screw out - 1/4-32 thread about 7mm long (thread section). pin end is very very worn at ~~1.7mm long, ~~3.73mm diameter. from what I can tell, the bridgeport part is also 1/4-32 at least per a H&W video....
hydrogen18

Post by hydrogen18 »

that head looks incredibly complex. Where even is the motor? Also, is there a drill chuck sticking out the top?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The head is rotated 180 degrees inverted to lower the center of gravity during transport.
RussN
keen

Post by keen »

hydrogen18 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:00 pm that head looks incredibly complex. Where even is the motor? Also, is there a drill chuck sticking out the top?
maybe this will help? :)
IMG_2919.JPG
IMG_2919.JPG (560.33 KiB) Viewed 579 times
JackF

Post by JackF »

Welcome Keen to the forum. :D Is Keen a nick name? Just asking as Keen is my nick name, although only my family calls me that. It is always good to include your physical location in your avatar as others near you may be of assistance if needed. :D Is this your first mill. If it is it's a dandy. Your pics show you have a dandy shop too. Looking forward to seeing your progress on the mill. :D
keen

Post by keen »

JackF wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:44 am Welcome Keen to the forum. :D Is Keen a nick name?
short version: at least online, yes.

longer version: first BBS I signed into in '90 or '91 asked for a handle and provided suggestions "a word that someone would use to describe you" and that's what popped into my head. been keen ever since.

got the spindle nut off (...really could have just used a punch to spin it off, I suppose. finding a pin wrench that fit an 85mm nut AND had a 4mm pin was challenging. had to cobble it together out of pieces that dont fit together from a kit....). removed the "special set screw" too since it was just loose in the hole now. I'll order one at some point, we'll see if I chose to run it or not.

second order of VFDs just placed, the first ones were wrong, I can't read. :)
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

If the special set screw is only for the R8 collet orientation -> you do not really need it.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Technical Ted

Post by Technical Ted »

There is a group that focuses on Induma mills:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/394692921521386

Ted
keen

Post by keen »

got it powered up tonight on a VFD - it was running when I bought it, but only lightly tested.

turns out it's got a few problems.

the quill power feed is stripped. any kind of upward pressure (including hitting the stop) will cause it to skip on the gears. just a hand pushing on the spindle will do it.

the motor bearings are really loud - slacking the belt helped. I cant find a lube point for these, so I guess it'll be a teardown soon.
Last edited by keen on Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.